Default Re: Grouse hawk in the making

very nice falcon, really looking forward to hearing more about this one

cheers
Rasmus
Old 22-03-2015, 01:01 AM
Scott
Passage

With a lot of persistence my hybrid finally caught a greater prairie chicken. He has taken an occasional lesser prairie chicken, but that species is now listed as threatened. Greater prairie chicken are a major challenge. The last several years, I've made annual hawking trips to Kansas to hawk them. His ability has improved on each hawking trip, but it seemed impossible to put one in the bag. This was an assist. He struck the grouse from a very high pitch, but not too high (he learned not to go too high because once the prairie chickens get up and going at full speed it ain't going to happen). He initially stooped on the first bunch that flushed, then switched to a second group that flushed a split second later. There was a loud whack and puff of feathers, but the chicken kept going. I'd seen this before many times. The chicken with my falcon in hot pursuit headed toward a line of cedars that make up a shelter belt along the edge of the soybean field. Instead of walking in the direction of the shelter belt, I decided to stop and pick up a few of the feathers at the point where my falcon struck the grouse (a consolation prize IMO). As expected my hybrid returned and I fed and hood him. I noticed that sprigs of grass were tangled on his transmitter. Accompanied by a local landowner, we decided to walk over and see if the chicken had put in. My young setter Jake led the way to the shelter belt. He went on point. I thought it might be quail, but the landowner looked down as said "there's a prairie chicken." He picked it up, still alive, but heavily damaged. It weighed 37 oz... a really nice sized rooster.

Scott

Old 22-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Haggard

7 years?! Lol
Old 22-03-2015, 01:44 AM
Scott
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
7 years?! Lol
I hope it won't take another 7 for the next one The way the prairie grouse are going, they might all be on the threatened list my then.

-- Scott
Old 22-03-2015, 11:16 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

I don't see a lot of folks congratulating you. Congrats!!!! Those things are not easy to kill no matter how you do it.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellBrad View Post
I don't see a lot of folks congratulating you. Congrats!!!! Those things are not easy to kill no matter how you do it.
Indeed. Congratulations Scott. To persevere for seven years alone deserves congratulations.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Scott
Passage

Thanks, Prairie chicken can blow your mind with their speed, power, toughness, and cunning in any particular order. I only fly them during the winter, it would be nice to start in the fall. My passage tundra is starting to fly them better. She's more likely to bind, my tiercel hybrid always strikes them. The quality of the fight on prairie chicken is far better than any duck hawking I do.

-- Scott
Old 23-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Nice one Scott! It's sad to hear that such wonderful quarry such as Sage Grouse and Greater Prairie Chicken etc are on the slide and that we may lose them as legal quarry. I hope to be able to see them both hawked before my time's up! Regards, Michael.
Old 23-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Scott
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Nice one Scott! It's sad to hear that such wonderful quarry such as Sage Grouse and Greater Prairie Chicken etc are on the slide and that we may lose them as legal quarry. I hope to be able to see them both hawked before my time's up! Regards, Michael.
Start with Sage Grouse. Sage grouse may be closed in Montana next year depending on the outcome recently proposed legislation. Greater prairie chicken are safe for a while. Next year's NAFA meet in Hays KS. will be a good place to fly chickens.

-- Scott
Old 24-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird_Dog View Post
Thanks, Prairie chicken can blow your mind with their speed, power, toughness, and cunning in any particular order. I only fly them during the winter, it would be nice to start in the fall. My passage tundra is starting to fly them better. She's more likely to bind, my tiercel hybrid always strikes them. The quality of the fight on prairie chicken is far better than any duck hawking I do.

-- Scott
Well said Scott,
I don't think those that haven't seen them in the field under a falcon can truly fathom the talents of greater prairie chickens..
There can be no match in the avian list of falconry prey.. Maybe the sand grouse comes close. They seem much more slight than GPC's however..
Congrats again...
True trophy class game bird!