Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 18-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

Default Re: Grouse hawk in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
7 years?! Lol
Some people just don't know Prairie Grouse.
Old 18-11-2015, 11:23 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKeefe View Post
No kidding!!! I know a lot of grouse virgins

Frankly I miss the plains and miss chickens so I'm thinking I might move back to SD and put up a house on some property I own on the Missouri. Time will tell cause the wife has told me in no uncertain terms she ain't living where the snow falls and everything turns to ice

Brad

Quote:
Forrest,

To add a little more to this I've had a total of two great grouse hawks in my life, both anatums. One never caught a grouse in her first year and the other only caught one. Everything changed later in their careers as they got older and more experienced. One of those falcons caught two sharptails, a chicken and a hen pheasant in one week her second season and it only got better. The other killed roughly 50% of the sharptails she put a foot on from then on. She never killed a chicken. The daughter of the first falcon killed the first chicken she touched but her personality was such that she was always a negative bird without the "can do" attitude great gamehawks have.

Brad
Old 19-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

I caught one sharp tail last year with my bird, some ducks and pheasant too. I must have sliped him 40 times on chickens and Sharptails, he hit several, darn things just don't die. Most I caught with one bird was eleven if you count sage grouse. and that was over a ten year period. Strangely enough I caught on sharp tail and one chicken the first year with a Gyr x Saker male. But his hovering at pitch and constant chasing of jackrabbits was too much. The little guy I have now likes ducks way too much and will give up a grouse flight, for an easy flight, if he sees ducks on a pond. My dog is more than willing to help him. I wish I never hunted ducks with him. Right now my ponds are frozen. I think the name of the game is focus, and after 2 or three misses, allow a pheasant or barn pigeon flight to keep up the confidence. Thirty mph winds last couple days and today. We are planing to go after grouse this weekend.
Old 19-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Passage

I feel very fortunate that I have a the best team of Grouse Hawks I have had in many years. 3 female Gyr x Peregrines, a Jerkin, a Gyr x Anatum male and a out of sight flying intermewed female Perergrine. A late start with the last 4, but 2 of the female Gyr x Peregrines scored on Grouse in great style for our first trip of the season last week.
Old 19-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Passage

Here's a part of my team. The 2 male Peregrines are my friends birds I gave him. The other is a 8 year old male Gry x Peregrine (pealed) that is own by a client. The Chicken was caught last week. 2 flights 2 chickens

Here is part of the team
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.9 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.0 KB, 213 views)
Old 19-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

Hey Brian! Looks like you guys had a blast. Were you on a pivot? We don't have pivots here, and corn was not grown much here either, this year. Nebraska seems to be the corn producers. These ranchers have discovered Cane to feed their cattle, useless for grouse, no seeds and once cut not cover. We just run our dogs until we find them. Curious which bird you consider the best match for prairie grouse. I saw my buddy Mark Waller got one of your birds a while back.
Old 20-11-2015, 01:37 AM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

Mine on a sharp tail last March.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3260016.jpg (96.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 20-11-2015, 05:05 AM
Passage

Quote:
Hey Brian! Looks like you guys had a blast. Were you on a pivot? We don't have pivots here, and corn was not grown much here either, this year. Nebraska seems to be the corn producers. These ranchers have discovered Cane to feed their cattle, useless for grouse, no seeds and once cut not cover. We just run our dogs until we find them. Curious which bird you consider the best match for prairie grouse. I saw my buddy Mark Waller got one of your birds a while back.
I like all the different Falcons for Grouse. The only Falcons I don't fly anymore are female Gyrfalcons and have no desire to fly another. Most just don't have the moves for me in the stoop or the bottom end. I also, don't fly male Peregrines much anymore. I prefer a Falcon around 1100 grams/40 oz.'s, but that is only personal preference. The smaller Falcons can for sure catch their share.
Mark Waller got a few nice male Gyr x Peregrines from me the last few years along with Dave Cherry. They love the males and seem to make high flying Game Hawks out of them.
Wish I had Grouse to fly everyday. It is a day drive to get into the first one closest to me and I usually make a minimum 3 days trip to hunt Sharp tails or Sage Grouse.
Old 20-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Brancher

Hi, Brian your ger-per are very nice. you dont fly this year Peregrinus? peal peregrinus? Put pics please. Thank you very much. Best regards To˝o.
Old 20-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Haggard

[QUOTE=MitchellBrad;2129190]No kidding!!! I know a lot of grouse virgins

So once you've all stopped patting yourselves on the back ,what is the reason for them being so difficult ,is it scarcity ,land issues ,speed of flight of the quarry or some other secret guile say compared to an english grey or uk grouse ?