Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 11-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

Default Re: Grouse hawk in the making

Scored a Prairiw Chicken, first one of the season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1250.jpg (82.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1261.jpg (78.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:08 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

Congrats Forrest! A winter chicken is always a good kill. How about a description of the flight. Also I see you got it in the snow so it probably didn't hold well in a corn or bean field. Looks to be a hen, am I right?

How are the numbers doing out there?

Brad
Old 11-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

Yep it is, this is a Sunflower field in a sea of grass, several large groups feed it it. It is large a section. We have had several flights this fall and my bird has knocked down several but no kills. Even had one fly into my truck, it must have been watching my bird and not where it was going. Even that bird got back up and flew off. Shows how tough they are. This particular flight I had my shorthair Lily working the perimeter road. She has learned not to get close she will point 30 to 40 yards away. When she went on point I turned loose my bird. She flew to the north climbing, All of a sudden grouse began to flush, taking advantage of my bird being out of position. My bird flew across the sky back towards the grouse as they kept flushing. He tear dropped from I guess 8 or 9 hundred feet. as he was homing in on a flying grouse two more busted cover. I guess they were not wanting to be left behind, and my bird plowed one, only a few feet from the ground and trussed it to the ground. So Brad what have you been up to?
Old 11-12-2016, 11:44 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKeefe View Post
Yep it is, this is a Sunflower field in a sea of grass, several large groups feed it it. It is large a section. We have had several flights this fall and my bird has knocked down several but no kills. Even had one fly into my truck, it must have been watching my bird and not where it was going. Even that bird got back up and flew off. Shows how tough they are. This particular flight I had my shorthair Lily working the perimeter road. She has learned not to get close she will point 30 to 40 yards away. When she went on point I turned loose my bird. She flew to the north climbing, All of a sudden grouse began to flush, taking advantage of my bird being out of position. My bird flew across the sky back towards the grouse as they kept flushing. He tear dropped from I guess 8 or 9 hundred feet. as he was homing in on a flying grouse two more busted cover. I guess they were not wanting to be left behind, and my bird plowed one, only a few feet from the ground and trussed it to the ground. So Brad what have you been up to?
Good to hear that Forrest. I've killed more that one late riser. I think a falcon of mine killed the first legal lesser in Kansas in that manner. Chickens are hard, no doubt about it. Congrats to you and your bird.

I haven't been doing anything falconry wise other than taking pictures. It's swimming in raptors down here and almost all of them are stink tame. During the summer I've been doing lots of herping though. I'll be honest with you, life isn't bad without a falconry bird to constantly worry about. After 50 years of worry a few taken off ain't too bad.

Brad
Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 AM
Forrest Keefe
Brancher

I love herping in the off season. I usually hunt after work and it is a good way to clear my head.