Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Bristol

Old 31-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Brooklin Sibley
Brancher

Default Work Experience...

Hello, I'm looking for some Falconry involved work eperience as its needed for me to complete my college course. I know its very niche' around Bristol but I'll get distracted easy if I don't want to be there (non-falconry related), not the best attitude I know but I can't help it, when I'm bored I daydream and my work rate drops. I'm a good listener, very passionate and I'm very dedicated and ready to learn! So yeah anybody know or have any work experience invloving Birds of Prey in or very close to Bristol as I'm limited for transport and time. I don't mind just cleaning out aviaries, just something I can learn from and involving Birds that can be vouched for as I need proof of work for college of "course". Lol how ironic, had to be said! I've tried Puxton Park, but sadly haven't heard back and its cracking on for time now as others in my class have already started volunteering. Thankyou for your time and posts in advance.

Brook.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
David
Passage

Default Re: Work Experience...

Try bristol zoo Brook ?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Brooklin Sibley
Brancher

No birds of prey there but I've already sent an email they never got back to me man
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Alex
Brancher

Have you tried r.s.p.c.a ?

I know you have your heart set on falconry but limiting your options is going to make it hard to get something . It is a bit like the real world of jobs , take what you can and keep an eye out for something better .

Alex
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Haggard

Brook - you need to change your attitude.

Centres are often inundated with people wanting to come and volunteer. Many of these volunteers have university degrees and other relevant experience.

So all this stuff about being easily distracted and daydreaming has to go. You are not going to get a volunteer position where you handle raptors all day long. You are more likely to be cleaning, raking, painting and mowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook Sibley View Post
Hello, I'm looking for some Falconry involved work eperience as its needed for me to complete my college course. I know its very niche' around Bristol but I'll get distracted easy if I don't want to be there (non-falconry related), not the best attitude I know but I can't help it, when I'm bored I daydream and my work rate drops. I'm a good listener, very passionate and I'm very dedicated and ready to learn! So yeah anybody know or have any work experience invloving Birds of Prey in or very close to Bristol as I'm limited for transport and time. I don't mind just cleaning out aviaries, just something I can learn from and involving Birds that can be vouched for as I need proof of work for college of "course". Lol how ironic, had to be said! I've tried Puxton Park, but sadly haven't heard back and its cracking on for time now as others in my class have already started volunteering. Thankyou for your time and posts in advance.

Brook.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Brooklin Sibley
Brancher

Maybe that's something I didn't think of Alex , that's a fair point I'll take that into consideration and look for something around her to do with animals as its got to be "land" based for the course lol, thanks everyone!

Brook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallBeck View Post
Brook - you need to change your attitude.

Centres are often inundated with people wanting to come and volunteer. Many of these volunteers have university degrees and other relevant experience.

So all this stuff about being easily distracted and daydreaming has to go. You are not going to get a volunteer position where you handle raptors all day long. You are more likely to be cleaning, raking, painting and mowing.
I didn't mind about handling any raptors, as long as they were in view I'd have been happy. But yeh that's a fair point too.

Brook.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Guy Simmonds
Brancher

Brook - for Bristol zoo you need to email the volunteer coordinator, there will be someone with the specific job of organising volunteering. you won't get a response from the normal generic email - zoos are hard to get volunteer experience but work experience as part of a college course should be easier - well it is in our zoo. There is also a place called Noah's ark in Bristol - I know they have birds of prey as I was on a course with one of their keepers last week.

As everyone says broaden your search and you'll get better results.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Brooklin Sibley
Brancher

Ahhhh its madness man! Forgot about Noah's ark -.-, have to send a cheeky email to them thanks Guy!

Brook.