Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Passage

Default Re: Snipe Hawking in Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodMaker View Post
Hello
Well, after a while, tiercel killed snipe today. Grasped it in the air and carried it for some distance. But landed on moor, so not too bad. Regards
Eric

Snipe hawking. Snipe killed. - YouTube
Well done and wishing you many more great flight to follow!!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Wayne
Brancher

Brilliant stuff well done.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Brancher

Thank you all for comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMan View Post
I enjoyed your video's. That's the kind of hawking I enjoy most - you, your setter not working too fast, your hawk at a good pitch and perhaps someone running the camera in lovely countryside. Great.

Tony
Hi Tony
Thank you for comment. My setter still need more experience, but on good wright way. I have to run my camera, no any handy person around

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJTaylor View Post
Good and enjoyable films Eric, must admit i like the nice flat moor as well, ive only ever taken one snipe with a tiercel,but hey very spectacular, im planning to do some snipe hawking with Bern up here in the lakes over xmas with both, perlin and Tiercel, anything else and size becomes an issue. I enjoyed also your setter working, nice looking dog , strange is it not how we all see different things in different dogs, as some comment on how fast the dog is, i myself , like Tony was thinking the reverse, slow and steady,but i suppose its what we all compare it with.. keep it up mate. atb Col
Thanks Colin. I will keep trying. But they expect hard cold winter, so there will be no single snipe on the moor.
Cheers
Eric
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Passage

Hi Eric,
Well done with the Snipe, theyre very difficult. When your bog freezes what do you fly at?

ATB - Pete.

Quote:

Hi Tony
Thank you for comment. My setter still need more experience, but on good wright way. I have to run my camera, no any handy person around

Thanks Colin. I will keep trying. But they expect hard cold winter, so there will be no single snipe on the moor.
Cheers
Eric
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Passage

Eric, if you are running the camera as well, the more credit to you.

As an aside, I bought an Irish Setter not long after I was married. She was the daughter of a double Crufts Champion with the exotic name of 'Richma Zita of Vandermist'. I bought her for her looks expecting nothing in the field. Was I wrong. At the time I was managing the Home Farm on a large estate in Wiltshire (Bowood). Opposite my house we had a large field, about 90 acres, surrounded by a deer fence. If I let the setter run around this for most of the morning, by the afternoon she was 'mustard'. We had a lot of squirrels and her favourite trick was to set one and move in, pick it up and bring it to me unharmed apart from squirrel wriggle damage. She was a joy to shoot over.

Tony
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Haggard

Well done with the snipe Eric, see you on wednesday.
Keith
Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Well done with the snipe Eric, see you on wednesday.
Keith
Thank you Keith.
I just hope the weather will be good. And plenty of game
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Brancher

Well done eric,he know,s his stuff.who bred this tiercel?was he a wild take?atb
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Passage

Quote:

Hi Tony

Cheers
Eric
Hi Eric,

I used to experience the something on the Northwest Coast of Washington State near Seattle. The Snipe were great until about the end of Nov. first of Dec.. If we had a freeze up the Snipe would migrate further South to the Coastal Valleys of Oregon and California and I would have to switch to Duck Hawking. If Snipe (stragglers) were found in the cold conditions they were not worth flying, as they were stressed by the cold and too easy caught and would not fly normal. Snipe are very delicate and any kind of stress will take it's toll.

To me Snipe Hawking is fantastic as the Dog work is second to none and the flights with a high flying Falcon is also second to none. I flew Peale's and Prairie Falcons on them. If the Peale's missed in the stoop they would ring the Snipe way up in a zig zag flight pattern and then usually break off way up and come back for another flight and in the right places the Dogs would be back on point and ready for another flush.

Very impressive for you to fly and film. I have tried it many times it is not easy to pull off! Well done!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Egg

Nice work Eric, your dedication, commitment and enthusiasm are a credit to you.

The auld Irish accent is coming on nicely too....
It wont be long before you're washing down some fine black pudding with a skinfull of Guinness

Cheers,
Don