Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Ireland

Old 27-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Egg

Default Irish Hawking Club / Mentor

Does the Irish hawking club still exist? Throughout my study into falconry over the last year and a bit I've tried making contact with the IHC with no success. Have they disbanded?

Basically I'm looking to get some in the field hunt experience - I'm on the cork Kerry border.

I've signed up for a two day handling course also.

Could anyone from the south of Ireland or anyone with knowledge of this jurisdiction - give me advice on the licence application process? How much bop handling detail are they powers that be looking for?
Old 27-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Irish hawking club / mentor

The Irish Hawking Club is better and stronger today than it has ever been and held five fieldmeets this year, including a very successful fieldmeet on the the Cork Kerry border. There are several members on this forum and browsing through "search" and the forums in general will find many, many references. I have been in email contact today with three committee members using contact addresses on the IHC website http://www.irishhawkingclub.ie . Yes, the Irish Hawk Club (established 1870) does still exist.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Timbrell View Post
The Irish Hawking Club is better and stronger today than it has ever been and held five fieldmeets this year, including a very successful fieldmeet on the the Cork Kerry border. There are several members on this forum and browsing through "search" and the forums in general will find many, many references. I have been in email contact today with three committee members using contact addresses on the IHC website http://www.irishhawkingclub.ie . Yes, the Irish Hawk Club (established 1870) does still exist.
Is that right Gary?...1870. That makes it the oldest hawking club in the world and I thought the BFC laid claim to that. Bloody fibbers!
Old 27-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Egg

Ah, I've been using the contact form. Silly me.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Is that right Gary?...1870. That makes it the oldest hawking club in the world and I thought the BFC laid claim to that. Bloody fibbers!
They aren't really fibbers, Tom. Due to various agrarian troubles at the end of the 1800's, a war of independence and a civil war in the 20's the IHC has not had a continued existence. It's coming up to it's 50th year of continued uninterrupted existence.

The 1870 is on the badge and it's a great way of winding up the BFC guys at international meetings. That and the fact that the club was gifted funds by Maharajah Duleep Singh and Ronald Stevens, both claimed by BFC.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Timbrell View Post
Hi Gary
I think a new director as well, isn't there?
Regards
Sue
Old 27-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue2 View Post
Hi Gary. I think a new director as well, isn't there? Regards
Sue
Hi Sue. Yes, it's Don Ryan.
Old 27-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Rob Punch
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
The somewhat dysfunctional group that refers to itself as the "Irish Hawking Club" has no connection with the club of that name which existed in the late nineteenth century. I had the pleasure in my younger days, of hunting with a gentleman who was a member of the earlier club.
The present club lapses every few years and then re-invents itself, I used to be a member and know that there are some very dedicated people involved; both as members and administrators. Unfortunately there are many who are not sportsmen and others are members only because they have no chance whatsoever of obtaining a shotgun licence.
When there was a march in Waterford, protesting at a proposed ban on fox and stag hunting, very little support was forth coming from the IHC. In fact some individuals closely identified with them were seen entering the Green Party conference - who were attempting to introduce the legislation! It would be unfair not to make it clear that some individual members gave full, unstinting support to the pro hunting movement. There was also an incident where a member of the IHC was being prosecuted for owning a harris hawk without a licence. It was the gun clubs association (NARGC) which defended him?
It would be accurate to regard the present club as being perhaps seven years old - the line of succession has been severed too often for its antedeluvian claims to be valid.
Old 28-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Brancher

The Falconry and Hawking club of Ireland is nearly set up and one more season and we will be recieving members,if your interested contact me on the Irish falconry forum,we will not disapoint.
Old 28-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertie View Post
The somewhat dysfunctional group that refers to itself as the "Irish Hawking Club" has no connection with the club of that name which existed in the late nineteenth century. I had the pleasure in my younger days, of hunting with a gentleman who was a member of the earlier club.
The present club lapses every few years and then re-invents itself, I used to be a member and know that there are some very dedicated people involved; both as members and administrators. Unfortunately there are many who are not sportsmen and others are members only because they have no chance whatsoever of obtaining a shotgun licence.
When there was a march in Waterford, protesting at a proposed ban on fox and stag hunting, very little support was forth coming from the IHC. In fact some individuals closely identified with them were seen entering the Green Party conference - who were attempting to introduce the legislation! It would be unfair not to make it clear that some individual members gave full, unstinting support to the pro hunting movement. There was also an incident where a member of the IHC was being prosecuted for owning a harris hawk without a licence. It was the gun clubs association (NARGC) which defended him?
It would be accurate to regard the present club as being perhaps seven years old - the line of succession has been severed too often for its antedeluvian claims to be valid.
I agree with some of your **** ,but when you say they are some only joined because they had no chance of getting a shot gun licence,why.