Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Ireland

Old 28-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Rob Punch
Passage

Default Re: Irish hawking club / mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Free View Post
i agree with some of your **** ,but when you say they are some only joined because they had no chance of getting a shot gun licence,why.
If you wish to discuss, debate or argue against in a civilised manner, any of the allegations I have made, then please do so. There is nothing to be gained by using starred out expletives; it fails to impress and only conveys a negative image of your ability to engage in constructive criticism.
My comments on the IHC were restrained and in fact the inability of some members to meet the standards required to obtain a gun licence is well down the list.
Old 28-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafra View Post
Does the Irish hawking club still exist? Throughout my study into falconry over the last year and a bit I've tried making contact with the IHC with no success. Have they disbanded?

Basically I'm looking to get some in the field hunt experience - I'm on the cork Kerry border.

I've signed up for a two day handling course also.

Could anyone from the south of Ireland or anyone with knowledge of this jurisdiction - give me advice on the licence application process? How much bop handling detail are they powers that be looking for?

Hello Geffrey
The Irish Hawking Club does exist, the membership section of our website can be found here

http://www.irishhawkingclub.ie/membership.html

Licensing is governed by the National Parks & Wildlife service and applications can be found here to own and hunt a bird of prey

http://www.npws.ie/licences/possessi...essbirdsofprey

There is also a facebook page for members of the club where most of the members keep in touch on a daily basis, we also have a page that is open to non members

http://www.facebook.com/irishhawkingclub?fref=ts

The club will be attending numerous events around the country this summer usually bringing along a static display of hawks owls eagles and falcons , also the winter calender is already filling up with field meetings booked for the 2013 season, if you come along to one of these events you will be made welcome and perhaps invited to one of the many meets planned for the future.
I might also ad that the club is also affiliated to the IAF and avails also of a group insurance scheme for club members that is hard to beat for a little over 22 quid.
The club has a lot to offer, the current membership has worked hard to make being a member worthwhile, if you have anything constructive or positive you feel may be a benefit the club (ex members included) i am sure you will be made welcome.

http://www.iaf.org/index.html

Regards
Keith
Old 28-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Timbrell View Post
They aren't really fibbers, Tom. Due to various agrarian troubles at the end of the 1800's, a war of independence and a civil war in the 20's the IHC has not had a continued existence. It's coming up to it's 50th year of continued uninterrupted existence.

The 1870 is on the badge and it's a great way of winding up the BFC guys at international meetings. That and the fact that the club was gifted funds by Maharajah Duleep Singh and Ronald Stevens, both claimed by BFC.
Dear Gary,

I hadn't realised the IHC was established in 1870, and so becomes the second oldest hawking club still in existence after the Champagne Hawking Club which was founded in 1866.
When it disbanded in 1869, Maharajah Dhuleep Singh housed the club's hawks at Elvedon Hall in Suffolk.
Despite there being no CHC for 136 years (what difference does that make), the new CHC enjoys some great times both in the Champagne region of France and in the vicinity of Elvedon.
Sadly, Ronald Stevens was never a member.

Yours with a little grin,

Tony.
Old 28-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertie View Post
If you wish to discuss, debate or argue against in a civilised manner, any of the allegations I have made, then please do so. There is nothing to be gained by using starred out expletives; it fails to impress and only conveys a negative image of your ability to engage in constructive criticism.
My comments on the IHC were restrained and in fact the inability of some members to meet the standards required to obtain a gun licence is well down the list.
I,ll take your word for it.
Old 28-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Stevie kerr
Passage

Hey Keith is there any long wing meets in the club
Old 28-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
Hey Keith is there any long wing meets in the club
Hello steve,
The club members are mainly made up of shortwingers and broadwingers and cater for their disciplines regarding field meetings, however one austringer who also flys a peregrine sometimes brings his falcon along on the shortwing meets if the land is suitable and quarry is available, of the seven goshawk meetings i attended last season the peregrine was there on three occasions.
Keith
Old 28-04-2013, 08:04 PM
John Winder
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Free View Post
i,ll take your word for it.
John what is the SEHC ? is it a club ?
You seem to like clubs and what is the advantage of joining your new club(falconry and hawking club of Ireland) over the IHC.?
Not a pop just curious as I might want to join a club, and not a clique(click)
Old 28-04-2013, 09:26 PM
James
Egg

Well Done Keith on an excellent reply. The IHC is moving forward and its past is just that, in the past. Its time to move forward and it would be great if some of the old members could join back in!! Their experience would be invaluable. We had great meetings last year with a warm friendly atmosphere. Thanks to the committee!! and looking forward to next season.
Old 28-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Ross Ricken
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasket View Post
Well Done Keith on an excellent reply. The IHC is moving forward and its past is just that, in the past. Its time to move forward and it would be great if some of the old members could join back in!! Their experience would be invaluable. We had great meetings last year with a warm friendly atmosphere. Thanks to the committee!! and looking forward to next season.
have to agree with u james the club has come on leaps and bounds from what ive seen and the few times ive been invited to some of there get togethers last year the craic was great,hopefully i will be joining myself sometime soon with the help of god,this new imprinting im doing atm is keeping me very busy
Atvb ross
Old 29-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ricks View Post
have to agree with u james the club has come on leaps and bounds from what ive seen and the few times ive been invited to some of there get togethers last year the craic was great,hopefully i will be joining myself sometime soon with the help of god,this new imprinting im doing atm is keeping me very busy
atvb ross
Bring the youngster along Ross, the sooner you get them started the better.
Keith