Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo

Old 14-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Chick

Default Buzzard and my experience

my first hands on experience with a buzzard was my second day volunteering at a falconry center and prior to volunteering I had no hands on bop experience I only had what I had self learnt in reading and watching videos and research and the day before hand

things I learnt the first day

- how to prepare food
- how to pick the birds up out the mews
- how to weight them and about weight
- how to correctly bow them - the right amount of length to give them
- how to clean - without bleach lol
- how to hand feed them , and about how much they should eat

- I forgot spacial awareness when carrying a bop around other bops

So on the second day I was left to do what I had done the first day so I brought out bop's , weighed them , bowed them , cleaned the mews etc. - and on this morning I did some Harris hawks , which were footy and flighty on the glove this was a new situation for me but I learned how to handle the glove in this situation so at least something was learnt , all the hh I handled there were like this and I dreaded even picking them up lol

so about 4 hours after in im told to pick up the buzzard at this stage i've handled many owls , harris , peregrine X's , and a peregrine , I walked into his mews the first thing I thought was hes huge and I thought about the harris hawks and thought this is going to be a nightmare if hes similar , I walked into his mews got him to step up , tied (falcon knot) him to my glove , got him to step down onto scales weighed him picked him back up and fed him and wow ,
when I first walked in the mews I was abit out of place being with a bop of to me at the time it was quite a size he looked powerful and able to do great damage so I wanted to respect him and be safe for us both because I do not view these birds lightly I understand the damage they can do and the damage we can also do to them by making mistakes , but he was so calm and listened to everything I told him infact he became my favourite from that day , he was always so calm
one day I was struggling with the triple falcon knot - i kept doubling it and thinking I had done it wrong worried the bird would escape and undoing it and starting again , so I kept looking at him on the bow just being observant as to where he was and whole time he was looking down watching me tie knot after I was finished when I got up and walked out he looked me at me like '' are you done yet '' he just seems to have a quirk about him maybe it was just me needing a friend in a new environment so I attached myself to the local buzzard haha
im not sure weather I have this view because of my nerves from the first time I picked him up and how calm he was ,
but a buzzard is a bird I never even looked into and I was hugely surprised

any thats my experience with a buzzard
I thought I should contribute something to the forum because I spend so much time reading the boards
I hope this is ok

I would be interested to hear about other peoples experiences with buzzards aswel
Old 14-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Chick

Default Re: Buzzard and my experience

I should state that I spend most of my time looking into peregrines , merlins , ak's , red footed falcons , hobbies , the smaller bops
Old 14-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Brancher

Good post. well done... Hugh
Old 14-11-2014, 10:26 PM
George
Haggard

Dakota,
A great first post.
Just a tip, when tying a bird off to a bow or block, always keep the bird on the fist with the leash in the safety position.
Old 14-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Roy - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Good tip George. I wish I could make a few falconers I know tie their birds to the glove. The number of times Ive seen them getting over a gate or fence with the leash just held inbetween their fingers. One person flatly refuses, says its just beginers that do it. Sends shivers down my spine
Old 14-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlands Rescue View Post
Dakota,
A great first post.
Just a tip, when tying a bird off to a bow or block, always keep the bird on the fist with the leash in the safety position
Hi yes I know this , alot of things I missed out but I wasn't sure weather to even post or not but I jumped in lol this was the beginning of the year and it was the first week I did that I kept second guessing my ability with the knots im not sure why because I was staying up at night practising the knots with both hands lol

I learned alot through hands on experience it was really valuable to me , I am a quicker learner that way aswel and I always had questions about everything , questions you can't ask a book

Safety position ; I was told this is holding the leash in your hand with your thumb over it and then move the leash over your ring finger and little finger so the leash comes out the back of your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Red12 View Post
Good tip George. I wish I could make a few falconers I know tie their birds to the glove. The number of times Ive seen them getting over a gate or fence with the leash just held inbetween their fingers. One person flatly refuses, says its just beginers that do it. Sends shivers down my spine
Me too , I actually hate this
I saw this alot and it made me feel uneasy
Old 14-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Chick

Quote:
Everytime I picked up a bird I put the leash in the safety postion and tied it to my glove - before I even moved from where I had picked the bird up from
Old 14-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Chick

I ended up spending most my time with harris's - which were awful everyday they were just awful lol and owls which were great actually , was always left with these because other birds were in the shows so my contact with them was minimal , I basically ,
- watered the baths
- got the birds out of the mews
- bowed them
- weighed them( in the morning and later in the day )
- prepared food
- cleaned mews
- fed birds
and put them back in the mews at closing
and did some training only a handful of times

ultimately the bird that made the biggest impression on me during that time was the buzzard - probably because outside of the hh and the owls I did pick this up most days
When I think about the buzzard compared to the harris's , I understand how much of a difference it makes to have a calm bird vs a bird going crazy on the glove , it makes weighing difficult , it makes bowing difficult , it makes all simple actions a task and I feel like this was a good thing to have had to deal with
Old 15-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Mick McLaughlin
Brancher

Quote:
It isn't just for beginner's but as Iv noticed the older you get the more clumsy you become knees start failing amongst other things and it pays to play safe
Old 15-11-2014, 12:13 AM
George
Haggard

All good experience mate. But trust me a normal well manned and trained harris will be just as good as a similar buzzard.