Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Law, Exams, Land, Weather & Trapping

Old 14-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Default Hawking on MOD land

Hi folks. I've recently moved to Brecon. I've got the Sennybridge ranges about 10 miles away (if that). Looks like excellent hawking ground, question is can I get permission and if so how? I know Salisbury Plain is hunted but theres the SBP Hawking club. Can it be done by average Jo or is it too much bother? Cheers, Ash
Old 15-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Default Re: Hawking on MOD land

Hi Ash,
We have flown on MOD land now for 25 years,as the fields are two foot from our back gate, now I am only talking about this section now, don't know about your area.
We are not allowed to hunt on the land at all, and have to have public Liability insurance which has it printed on the insurance that we fly on MOD land, we are not allowed to go into the areas that have red flag flying, so if you are unlucky to fly and your birds goes off into that area you have to wait until normally about 4.00 when the flags come down to go get it (so far in all the years that hasn't happened to us, yet !!)
Your need to speak to the Commandant and the ranger of your section, they might be totally different, we are very friendly with ours and always supply a bottle at Christmas.
Good luck.
Angie.
Old 15-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Haggard

You can contact the RSM (r) at sennybridge but unless your landed gentry or forces (ex or serving) of a decent rank you'll struggle to make inroads ,don't go to the range officer he'll just fob you off and dont ask range staff its not their decision to make
I ran lulworth ranges for 3 years no one came on the area without my knowledge and permission ,trespass on a live firing area is treated rather seriously so dont try and cuff it
Old 15-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Ok cheers guys. I'll notify them anyway if I'm flying near the ranges out of courtesy. I'll have a look elsewhere, as far as I can tell the national park is still fair game, not sure how permission would work there either but I'll talk to some of the farmers that run stock up there.
Old 15-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Haggard

National parks are fine till someone complains then theyre not ,especially if theres protected species up there
Old 15-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
national parks are fine till someone complains then theyre not ,especially if theres protected species up there
Right. So do the national parks authority actually have any say on hunting up there? I mean can they actually ban you? Not that I want to get into any sort of dispute with them.
Old 15-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Club Representative
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Right. So do the national parks authority actually have any say on hunting up there? I mean can they actually ban you? Not that I want to get into any sort of dispute with them.
Depends what you mean by national park ...... If you are talking about land that has a SSSI, SPA or SAC listing then the landowner cannot give you permission to hunt on that land unless it is consented (and in the agreement between the land owner and Natural England). If its not in the agreement as it currently stands, the landowner will need to ask for a change of condition in his agreement which will need a Habitats regs assessment to be undertaken.
What the land is designated for will affect any decision as to whether falconry will be allowed.

Graham
Old 15-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Thanks Graham. In this case I'm talking about the Brecon Beacons national park. I'm not sure how to find the status/designation of the land, I'm sure the farmers in question will be able to help though
Old 16-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Haggard

National Park Authorities don't have any say on hunting (unless they actually own the land in question)

The vast majority of land in a National Park is privately owned - and you ask the owner, just like anywhere else.

Even if the land is an SSSI - there is normally provision in the agreement for pest control.

My place is in a SSSI and a National Park!
Old 16-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Hi folks. I've recently moved to Brecon. I've got the Sennybridge ranges about 10 miles away (if that). Looks like excellent hawking ground, question is can I get permission and if so how? I know Salisbury Plain is hunted but theres the SBP Hawking club. Can it be done by average Jo or is it too much bother? Cheers, Ash
Hi
Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with the SBP Hawking club as Im new to Wiltshire and looking for a club to get some knowledge and meet people in the area.
Cheers
Sorry to hijack your post CotswoldRedtail