Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 24-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Default Re: My First Experience Of Gamehawking

Tony, it must have been the party line back then! I got almost exactly the same from Jim C at the 1979 CLA. Of course it was very different back then, I hadn't even seen a Peregrine and didn't see one in the flesh for another couple of years.
I'm glad he said it, it made me all the more determined to seek out those who he spoke of and just over a decade later I was flying my own peregrine and within another few years of that I first met Steve.
I reminded Jim of his words last year in Abu Dhabi....we had a good spirited laugh about it
Well done Tony and well done Bradley, I can see a Peregrine in your future young fella, but perhaps not for a while yet.
Regards, Michael.

Tony, I would have PM'd this but...

Do you know Paul Hurrell, Leonard's son? (I'm nearly sure it was Paul) I was lucky enough to spend time with Leonard a while back and Paul took a few pics but I lost his contact number to get copies.

Cheers, Michael.
Old 24-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Tony, it must have been the party line back then! I got almost exactly the same from Jim C at the 1979 CLA. Of course it was very different back then, I hadn't even seen a Peregrine and didn't see one in the flesh for another couple of years.
I'm glad he said it, it made me all the more determined to seek out those who he spoke of and just over a decade later I was flying my own peregrine and within another few years of that I first met Steve.
I reminded Jim of his words last year in Abu Dhabi....we had a good spirited laugh about it
Well done Tony and well done Bradley, I can see a Peregrine in your future young fella, but perhaps not for a while yet.
Regards, Michael.

Do you know Paul Hurrell, Leonard's son? (I'm nearly sure it was Paul) I was lucky enough to spend time with Leonard a while back and Paul took a few pics but I lost his contact number to get copies.

Cheers, Michael.
Hi Mike,

I'm afraid I don't know him, but fingers crossed someone may be able to help.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 24-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

No Worries, cheers.
Old 25-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
excellent write up ,your rather a lucky chap to be introduced to it by tony you will one day reflect on this, hopefully as a man flying your own game hawks

in time you will appreciate it more as you will see it more often than not doesn't go this well for many people (myself included )

funnily enough i had a similar day today with a rubbish first flight and very good second flight as did my friend
Thanks for the kind words Shaun, your right about the looking back part. I can just picture that reflective moment when I have my own bird(s). It's a memory I'll keep forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieT View Post
Made my day reading Bradley's write up. A day to cherish and someone so full of enthusiasm and sense that I'm sure that the gift so generously given my Tony will have the desired affect.

I couldn't help thinking also about Bradley's dad - putting time, effort and petrol into letting his son follow his dreams. Way to go Brad, Brad's dad and Tony.
I'm glad you enjoyed it Eddie and I have my Dad and Tony to thank for making this possible. I don't even have to nag him, he wants me to get the practical experience in the field. Although he has said that he can't wait till I can drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Regards, Michael.

Cheers, Michael.
Thanks Michael, interesting to hear someone else who had the same awkward introduction to Falconry at the time. A Peregrine would be such a huge commitment, only time will tell whether I'll actually have the chance to take up a Falcon. I just aim to get the experience in the field currently and then get my first bird when the time is right. Thanks again for the words.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 25-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
"A hawk for the bush" I still remember buying it many years ago 'brilliant read' wish I knew what happened to it, think it's somewhere in the loft. Atb. John
Just googled that book john, £58 used and £153 new.....
Old 25-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda32 View Post
Just googled that book john, £58 used and £153 new.....
You can get the 3 for about £100 from coch y bondu books
Old 25-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
you can get the 3 for about £100 from coch y bondu books
What's the 3 Shaun, I only know of the 1. Atb. John
Old 25-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Brancher

Not being able to afford to buy a copy, my first read of 'A Hawk for the Bush' (which changed my life and made it empty until I got my first Sparrowhawk) was thanks to a kind older falconer who lent it to me. I don't know which edition it was, but the cover had blue edging, golden fancy writing, and a picture of the most perfect and finely built Sparrowhawk you can possibly imagine on the cover.

I will never forget it.
Old 25-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What's the 3 Shaun, I only know of the 1. Atb. John
a hawk for the bush ,falcon in the field and behind the scenes mate

£80 a bargain

Http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...dato&vci=68825
Old 26-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Passage