Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Tailmount and tail guard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL View Post
Ended our season in early January, fed him right up they grew back, then it happened again at the start of his second season, paralyzed himself at the same time though so that was a proper end.

Either way, smallest bell possible, but the whole nature of plectrums and how they are fitted allows the bell, transmitter and aerial, to flick up higher than if connected directly using a crimp, a small bell OR a micro transmitter isn't too much for a single feather (that's what they are designed for).

I flew a female once (Keith may remember it was on his ground) her tail mounted transmitter had an aerial like a pigs tail after getting wrapped on something as she was flying... luckily that didn't pull the decks.
I can picture them being flicked about by the tail, more so a transmitter than a bell. Would it not be an idea if determined on having the transmitter on the tail then to attach the transmitter again at the base of the transmitter/ top of aerial to the feather to stop it flicking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I said earlier I hate things on a tail. That's one reason why. I tried a cable tie type mount that goes on the tail by a well respected austringer on here. He sent me a couple in the post. 2 days later my gos had ripped his own deck feather out. Luckily it grew back. That was the start of me wanting to pack in.

I used a back pack on my male gos and if you would ask me would I use it again.. my answer would be a huge definitely. Correct fitting is a must. The first time me and Simon Higham fitted one on my hawk (he's the guy on the Marshall video ) it wasn't right. I found this out a couple of days later. We did it again and this time Simon got it bang on. I wouldn't dream of not using one again. But they are a bit of a pain with a figetty type bird.

Atb
Dean.

The bird in the video sits like a dream
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Steven
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
I can picture them being flicked about by the tail, more so a transmitter than a bell. Would it not be an idea if determined on having the transmitter on the tail then to attach the transmitter again at the base of the transmitter/ top of aerial to the feather to stop it flicking up.
Not really sure I follow you/you follow me.

This is the fitment I dislike:

The leather tags attached to the shaft of the decks, and from the leather down the whole arrangement can flip up, hitting obstacles, the mount, the bell, the transmitter.

This is how I now mount transmitters and bells:

It's fixed and cannot flip up.

Last edited by SSL; 01-07-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: First image didn't work.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Banned
Passage

This is a rough sketch...

I don't know how much play there is on the one you like but if attached where shown it will greatly reduce it on the one you don't like. Only attach to the one feather

Could fit a small crimp to simply slide the aerial in instead of attaching it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 05-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post

The bird in the video sits like a dream
Yes it does. Pitty my pr male gos wouldn't
Old 06-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Brancher

Hello Sam (Beaner)
Interesting reading re: tail mounts I tend to bind the leather bell befit through the mount and super glue for good measure, if my associate can caste the bird of long enough without getting too bored
I see you're in Herefordshire (Hay on Wye), I'm based not too far away (Allensmore), always good to know local falconers/austringers, would be grateful if you could get in touch at winnalhall@outllok.com
Regards
Dayhawk