Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 18-10-2017, 08:38 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Default Poor Barn Owl

Im righting this because I would hate to think this could happen again.
A good friend on mine is mentoring a lady who had bought a female Barn Owl off him, she had been making great progress with her and had got her flying free. She had managed to get a nice field to fly her in but was a short car journey away from home. In need of a box to transport her in, on advise bought a box from Falconry Fabrications, the box was not really suitable for the transportation of any bird, due to the sharp and un trimmed bits of sharp plastic (see pictures) the result is the sad state of this bird. She had to be taken to the vet immediately of which she was operated on, she has lost part of her wing and one of her toes. Weather she will fly again is in the lap of the gods at the moment and only time will tell.
The company was informed about the box (sold to a novice who really didn't know what to look for) and the only reply was that he would exchange the box.
He has since been sent pictures of the bird by the owner and breeder of which he had not replied to either. This chap didn't even ask how the bird was and at no time seam to be worried that this had happened, ignoring a recorded delivery letter that was sent, and to this day not replied.
I would of thought that someone making equipment's would be concerned the injury's to this bird was made by his equipment but it appears not.
I would of thought it wouldn't of hurt him to make a phone call, even if only to say sorry, that would of been the professional way to deal with it.

Please if you have one of these boxes check the inside (or are thinking about buying one) there are probably lots out there and maybe this one slipped through the net as to not fit for purpose and the little owl paying the price and the owner is now ú300. lighter

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG
Old 18-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

Default Re: Poor Barn Owl

First port of call would to inform trading standards . A pic of the entire box would be handy.
Old 18-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Allen I believe that has already been done. I will ask if they have a picture of the whole box
Old 18-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry View Post
Allen I believe that has already been done. I will ask if they have a picture of the whole box
Falconry Fabrications are well established company that make good equipment BUT THEY SEEMS TO really let themselves down on this occasion.

Last edited by Derek Canning; 19-10-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 18-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Haggard

That's absolutely heartbreaking.
There's so much more I'd like to say, and do, but I'm assuming litigation and wouldn't want to say anything that could prejudice the outcome in any way.
But the owner must be devastated and I could honestly weep for them.
Old 18-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Brancher

I'm amazed anything by falconry fabrications could be left like that, everything I've had from them was perfectly finished, including a double box......but I'm equally amazed it wasn't spotted by the owner first before putting the bird in. It's pretty basic stuff when something is purchased, you check it over?.....

Those bits of rough plastic really did that?
Old 18-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Passage

I agree, it looks more like a bodged DIY repair to the inside of the box than something a company would turn out.

Very surprised to see this
Old 19-10-2017, 01:15 AM
Passage

All my boxes come from Falconry Fabrications and got to say they are of a very high standard, but just looking at this something has obviously gone badly wrong, that box should never have passed quality control and Iĺm very surprised at their attitude towards this matter, hope your friend does not let the matter go, and hope the Owl makes a good recovery. John
Old 19-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Here you go Allen picture of the box.

IMG_3436.JPG

Rene, the owner of this bird is devastated she is her first bird and the decision to get one was a long and hard road, she worked as a volunteer for over a year, doing everything no one else wants to do mucking out cleaning boxes and perches, then flew her mentors owls under supervision,and then for this to happen.
The worst this is no communication for the company, he obviously does not give a dam, due to his silence.

I will keep all updated on her progress, she is now off all ABs and painkillers which is good, still having to live indoors and getting fed up with daytime TV
Old 19-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Brancher

Is she blaming herself? I would be.....