Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 26-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Passage

Default Re: Poor Barn Owl

I have a box from Falconry Fabrications, and have owned it for many years. It is still in excellent condition. As far as I am aware, and I see them at most Game Fairs, they still make their boxes in black
Old 26-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue2 View Post
I have a box from Falconry Fabrications, and have owned it for many years. It is still in excellent condition. As far as I am aware, and I see them at most Game Fairs, they still make their boxes in black
I hate to say this, but it is the same person/people, they must of shortened the name at some point. I dealt with them this summer.
Old 26-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
I hate to say this, but it is the same parson/persons, they must of shortened the name at some point. I dealt with them this summer.
Yes, you are correct. I have just visited their website. They also do white boxes now.
I am really surprised that this box was bought in this condition. As I said, I have had mine many years now, and it is still in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry View Post
The worst this is no communication for the company, he obviously does not give a dam, due to his silence.
TV
The website says away until end of October.
Old 27-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Thank you Sue, that may be the reason for no communication, but they did reply when it first happen saying they would change the box, but no sorry or how is the bird nothing ??

Just to let everyone know, the vet has advised to lay her up for the winter and start her back flying in the spring, although still not out in her Aviary yet.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Egg

That box does indeed look poopy. But could you show us what it looks like inside?

Reason I ask is that I've seen the same wound on the exact same spot with alot of owls that I work with. (on the wing)

That's the first area that will make contact when they smash thier wing against an object. This could occurs when flying into the same piece of furniture, lamp, drawers or racks repeatedly. The object doesn't have to be sharp. The surface could have been flat and still do the same damage because of the same constant smashing on the same area. You can feel a piece of bone that sticks out on that perticular spot. That's why it's so prone to damage.

Now I don't know what it looks like inside the casing but I'm going to assume it has a perch of some sort and a compartment below to hold the feces like most travelling enclosures. Perhaps the perch got loose during a bumpy ride and cause the owl to get stuck in some way?

I always tell people that travelling enclosures should fit pefectly. If it's too big you'll give the bird room to struggle. (Hence damage on wing) Too little and you'll have your bird struggling for room. I mean the only purpose is to transport the bird right? The casting on both legs (fractured?) tells me the owl put up quite a struggle with the box. Unlike other falcons hoods are not common so you have to have your owl get used to the enclosure first before taking it on a long road trip. Especially when you have to drive alone. I'm guessing this is the first time this bird is in this new box.

The wings will heal, the legs will too. But the part that kills me most is the lost of the toe.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the box is the culprit here. But my experience tells me that I should always have my bird get used to any new equipment I introduce it to.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Hi Lyane
Firstly she hasn't got any broken legs !! don't know where you got that from ?.
she has been traveled in a box for quite some time (not this one) back and forward to the center and her flying field. The perches inside had not come off and she is not a nervous bird at all.
I cant show you the inside of the box as the bird is not mine, I personally don't use bought boxes we make our own. The reason for the Thread was just to make others aware and keep any eye on any boxes bought as I would hate another bird to go through this.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Egg

Quote:
Hi Lyane
Firstly she hasn't got any broken legs !! don't know where you got that from ?.
The blue casting on both legs.
Old 13-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

It is not a cast, its soft crepe bandage to hold the gause where she cut her foot and where she had a toe removed, doing rescue you must use this ??? I use it all the time for any wounds that need to be kept clean, it will attached to itself (I also do rescue Birds of Prey only)
Old 13-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Hi Angie

Thanks for sharing this information, I have a falconry fabrication carry box and had it many years and it looks like new.

This thread made me actually go and check the internal finish on my box which has pop rivet heads showing which I have never had an issue with.

Looking further at the pictures of the box the finish is not great and the application of the sealant would not win an icing contest in Bake off but I cannot ever imagine it causing such injury’s to a Barn owl to the extent it loses a toe.

Barn owls are resilient little suckers.

I don’t doubt what you have been told but I maybe think there is more to this story.

Never the less very sad for the owl and its owner, I hope it makes enough of a recovery to have quality of life.

ATB
Clive
Old 14-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Egg

Quote:
It is not a cast, its soft crepe bandage to hold the gause where she cut her foot and where she had a toe removed, doing rescue you must use this ??? I use it all the time for any wounds that need to be kept clean, it will attached to itself (I also do rescue Birds of Prey only)
I often have to re-apply my topical solution so for most non-fatal skin wounds including bumblefoot, I don't normally cover up the area for extensive periods of time because it actually takes longer to heal if I don't let the skin breathe. Take aloe Vera or coconut oil mix for example, I can't imagine myself re-applying vet wrap twice a day, everyday until it heals. Heck, I don't even use vet wraps after styptic powder. My apologies, from the angle of the picture I could not tell if there was a thermoplastic cast/plaster underneath that vet wrap. I just assumed it did because for a healthy bird to get that wound on the wing and lose a toe like that, I'd imagine it put up quite a fight in that box. (Maybe a fracture or two) But like Sloehawk says, maybe there is more to this story.

I actually handle all kinds of animals, just that we're seeing more owls coming in recently is all.

I'll included 2 snowy owls that I worked with recently with the same wound as yours on the wings. No vet warps used. I find the healing process alot faster without it.

Bird 1: Male, 6 months old. Wound on both arms. Cause: Flying into furniture. Right wing healed in 10 days while left arm took alittle over 2 weeks.

Bird 2: Male, 2 years old. Wound on right arm. Cause: Damage from an open enclosure.

I've seen alot of barn owls with the same wound too, believe me this is a wound from the wing flapping against something hard.

Lyane