Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 26-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Egg

Question social imprint gos???

hi guys, need some help, thinking of getting a gos this year for the first time,have thought long and hard,06 male finnish, have already decided on the breeder,have plenty of experiance flying birds,but not imps,have got the dvd,s and the books, the imp of the bird should not be a prob as i can spend a lot of time with the bird when is young, as my job permits me to take the gos to work on a regular basis, i understand that there is going to be screaming in [teenage stage of the young gos]: which does nt bother me too much [may bother the neighbours thu] i also understand that these birds need early kills and regular as well, soooo the question to all u that have more exp with social imprinted gos,s is ....does there come a point where the screaming stops, is this something that should stop once the gos has reached a certain age,or mentalty,i know there are no fast and hard rules in the question i am asking,can cope with the screaming as long as iknow that 1 day it may stop or there is a good chance of this,would be very gratefull for ur help in this matter,as i dont wont to make a booboo thanks chris......
Old 26-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

First goshawk should not be an imprint.
Old 26-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Haggard

If you have not flown a Goshawk before an Imprint will put you off Goshawks for the rest of your life.

It is a long expectation of good things and many confirmed Goshawkers simply cant hack it!
Old 26-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Joe Hatton
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutFlying
First goshawk should not be an imprint.
I took his Advise
Old 26-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Grouse Hawker
Haggard

What ever rock,s your boat;;;;;;;;;;;;can,t beat a good p/readed
Old 26-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Egg

Default social imprint gos ???

Ok guys ur replys are noted,but the question still stands........................... does there come a time when a well adjusted imprint will cease to scream,???
Old 26-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa
ok guys ur replys are noted,but the question still stands........................... does there come a time when a well adjusted imprint will cease to scream,???
No you will want to pull its head off if it goes wrong. buy a P/R one for your first why do you want an imprint, pr are just as steady if you spent time with them, yes i have got an imprint myself, no it is not noisy, it does make a little sometimes but i wouldnt recommend an imprint to anyone who hasnt flown a parent reared first. i have known ppl with an imprint keep it in the coal house to shut the f--ker up. as for the neighbours if you lived next door to me with a screaming gos it would die.
Old 26-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Viktor - Moderator
Haggard

You can't tell exactly age or number of kills befor he/she stops screaming, and in my opinion imprinting a gos must be well prepaired project!
I don't see the point of imprintig gos if you never tried one PR before, you must know the reason of doing this. Otherwise you can become another thread "MY gos is screaming what should I do?" - believe me it is to late than, and you can lose lots of nerves and you can have lots of problems with your familie!
Just my taughts and expirience, no hard feelings!
Cheers Viktor
Old 26-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Steven Apreda
Passage

Thumbs down

If ur thinking of how long she/he is going to scream ; and u havnt got the noisy B**t**d yet! dont buy an imprint
Old 26-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa
ok guys ur replys are noted,but the question still stands........................... does there come a time when a well adjusted imprint will cease to scream,???
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman_2
If ur thinking of how long she/he is going to scream ; and u havnt got the noisy B**t**d yet! dont buy an imprint
The best observation I have ever read on this site in a good long while

First rate