Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 26-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Passage

I don't want an imprint, now or in the future...

BUT, if I did, I'd get a friend to imprint it for me while I imprinted one for him. Then, we'd swap. Less chance of a screamer that way.

Frankly, I believe I have the perfect bird! He was hand reared to ten days, then reared by an imprint female. The breeder went into the open fronted aviary regularly but did not feed the eyas so he got an introduction to humans without being imprinted.

The result is a slightly confused German-Finn tiercel, who displays both to myself and to a female during the breeding season. I would guess that he is at least half as steady as an imprint, but quite as steady to me as I could wish. He is not 100% silent as he calls when he is ready to hunt (probably my fault) but is silent in the field. I think they call this a "dual imprint". That is another possibility for you if you don't want to go the full imprint route (if you can find one!).
Old 27-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Haggard

Zappa,
A "Swap" imprint must be entered by the imprinter before its passed into your hands or it is just as likley to call as it is to be silent!

Derry, I think the perfect boke and its teachings has made KK into a "Caller" (Not a screamer <g>)
A dual imprint should be silent but still exibit the behaviours you describe.
Old 27-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Egg

Default social imprint gos???

yes, blackbird the quote from gosman 2 did go deep into the cavatys of my brain,i also thought it was a good 1 aswell, as to your suggestions jack merlin about some 1 else doing the imprinting for me,the only person who i could trust to do my imprinting as i would do it, he is also thinking of a gos as well, this crossed my mind but the only prob with that, is that i fly with this person 90% of the time, so lets say i do his gos and he does my gos this may solve the screaming prob when the birds are then switched, but i rather think maybe there would be 2 confused gos,s out with 2 very confused idiots or would there if u know different then let me know....
Old 27-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Haggard

My advice to you is to get in touch with Jastreb.
He knows a lot about swap imprints and can tell you far more than I can.
He will lay it on the line for you
Old 27-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Egg

Default social imprint gos???

thanks for that blackbird,i want to explore every avenue before i decide,belive me all the advise u and others have given is sinking in i know how to fly and manage birds,and incubate them aswell as it happens, but the imprinting lark is all new to me....if it aint for me then it aint...so be it...i need to make the rite decsion, which is best for me and of course the bird aswell...may be go down the pr road againnnnnnn maybe
Old 27-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Why do you want to imprint the gos ?
Old 27-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
Derry, I think the perfect boke and its teachings has made KK into a "Caller" (Not a screamer <g>)
A dual imprint should be silent but still exibit the behaviours you describe.
I think you're right. I trained him to call by picking him up to go flying when he first started. I took it as a sign that he was keen.

Mind you, it could just be love.<g>
Old 27-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Brian
Brancher

There are some excellent comments & observations in the replies. You should ask why an imprint? Those who fly them have normally flown PR and want to address some of their potential failings. Having said that they simply find others with the imprint.

Both have their own advantages and neither option is better than the other. Do not be fooled into thinking imprints are easier as they certainly are not. As already stated by others if you already have concerns about potential screaming do not get an imprint. My breeding partner imprinted a female who NEVER made a sound, some grow out of it as they are killing more regularly and some never grow out of it.

Another important factor is the amount of game you have access to. You will generally need access to a lot of game for an imprint. If not you can create more noise problems. PR birds can get frustrated with blank days sat on the fist. Imprints can get ANNOYED!

You have lots of good advice but I suspect you will still opt for the imprint!
Old 27-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Kevin Riach - BFC Mid West region
Passage

I think the secret is dont sit there lisineng to the screaming, it will drive you mad ,I had an imprint female, imprinted by someone else who gave it to me to enter, she screamed, in the morning when I put her on the lawn ,half hour later off to work, stick her in the back of my van on bow perch, fly her 1or2 times out the window, at crows if she caght, just feed her up, in the van, just dont wind down the window, feathers everywere, if she missed call her back to lure, thro out two chicks, take to centre were I worked, and bow her out .fly her on the way home,no screaming,all day, the question is can you just pick the bird up and fly it, as it screams, no problem, if you cant , buy some ear plugs!!! would I fly another imprint,,gos, no way, I flew German, then, with the very steady Finnish now days, parent reared is much more an option..But as any good gos flyer will tell you on here, the first year, is very, very ,hard, mentally!!with an imprint...
Old 27-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Passage

If you are thinking of a swap imprint find someone to take on the gos that wants a falcon imprinting in exchange, that way you will give him all the **** to clean up and you will just have it round the block. clever hehe,