Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > New to the Forum?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Default HoboJoe Intro

Hi, just started a new job in wildlife managment using falconry. Found this site so I could get the best info and advice as at some point I would like to get my own Harris Hawk to work with
Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Default Re: HoboJoe Intro

Hello, which line of wildlife management have you started a new job in and why is a Harris Hawk the most appropriate bird for it?
Old 13-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Hi, I mentioned a harris hawk as my place of work seems to have a few more of them than other breeds. (They have quite a few different breeds but as I've only just started and I'm very much a total novice, I can't remember them all!)
My boss mentioned various breeds that could possibly be a good starting point. Do you have any suggestions? I will be getting trained as part of the job, but as it stands I am totally new to falconry
Old 13-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Hello, I'd suggest if you're working in a raptor based environment that you use the correct terminology, as that is an important aspect of the job if you are involved with the public.
You should ask which species, as breed is the term derived for domestic animals such as dogs.
I would also suggest you refrain from getting a bird of any species of your own, just because you have commenced work in that field, until you are certain in the knowledge of the implications of ownership and what it entails.
Old 13-11-2017, 06:24 PM

That's a fair comment Like I said I'm brand new to it and wouldn't be looking at getting my own bird for a least a year or so. I just want to gather as much information etc in the meantime
Old 14-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Hobo,

Good to use caution in selecting your own species of hawk. I'm sure you will take a long look at what is working best for your control work. However, the Harris' is often a good starting raptor, easy to train and versatile.

After many years I still use one for quail and rabbit...and mine is super easy to manage with a friend's hawk and the horses.

Harry.