Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 21-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Passage

Default -Falconry-... A dangerous hobby :)

I am calling for all your injuries caused whilst being out in the field although they MUST NOT have been caused by your bird.. Basically when have you made an idiot out of yourself and how
Earlier on this season i dived with huge enthusiasm under a tree to secure a rabbit and got a sharp stick in the eye.. It took me over an hour to walk back to the car and still couldnt see out that eye.. the pain was immence.. The GP sent me to casualty where i found i had severly scratched my eye in 3 places.. I regained full sight about 3 days later.. OOOOh the pain though

Last edited by Eagle Owl; 22-02-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Swearing
Old 21-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Brancher

Default Re: -Falconry-... A dangerous hobby :)

I wasnt out with my bird but was with the dog and slipped down a small incline ,sat on my leg and broke it in two places.I now have a metal rod through my shin and 5 screws holding it in place.That was about 6 months ago.Ironically the same dog nearly injured himself on Friday no more than 6 foot away from where my injury occurred.
Old 21-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Calvin
Haggard

Ive had simular had a black thorn scratch the lense of me eye ... withing 2 hrs i was in cronic ain head ache and then was vomiting for six hrs .

The sap or pollen on black thorn is poisnous as i was told... something i wouldnt want to go through again thats for sure ....

18months and antibiotics like they were going out of fashion .. done adsactly the same on a conifur branch in scotland on a pine needle ... couldnt even drive the car same again 12 month and anti biotics maybe i just get a bad reaction on both occasions..
Old 21-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Dave
Haggard

I broke an ankle whilst out hawking ten years ago. Hobbled a mile back to the car and drove home. I had a new pair of Le Chamaux wellies on, and the wife wanted to cut them off. I wouldnt let her and nearly passed out when she pulled them off. Six weeks in plaster and the end of my season. I am more carefull about where I put my feet these days.
Old 21-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
I broke an ankle whilst out hawking ten years ago. Hobbled a mile back to the car and drove home. I had a new pair of Le Chamaux wellies on, and the wife wanted to cut them off. I wouldnt let her and nearly passed out when she pulled them off. Six weeks in plaster and the end of my season. I am more carefull about where I put my feet these days.
CUT off your chammies Such a suggestion would have made me pass out
Old 21-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Richard Maher
Passage

Every time i go out hunting il always have some sort of injury.one that springs to mind though i was out in the field,i was crossing a little stream and was focused on my footing and making sure my hawk was secured too.i looked up as i was walking and a broken tree hit me straight under the eye and i landed on my assss.my mookboot was filled with water and freezing at that.i looked like i had been beaten up when i got home.day ruined before it started.but well worth it.the list goes on,things can get dangerous out there in the wild if ya dont be vigilant.richie
Old 21-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKLouiseKK View Post
CUT off your chammies Such a suggestion would have made me pass out
I know, it was outragous!
Old 21-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Richard Maher
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
so a footy falconer david,sorry.id have done the same thing with the wellies,please not the welliesrichie
Old 21-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Billy
Passage

Not so much an injury Louise but a near death experiance...female gos was slipped on a cock bird chased it well out of site into Comrie village centre but on the way there i tracked her down on her prize some 1 hour and ten mins later but there was a river between me and her so i made the decision to go across bearing in mind it was December -temps and when i went into the water i almost froze,now i swear the only thing that i could picture was my 2 daughters faces as i really did think i was going to kop it the current was so strong it took me passed where i was wanting to land but through shear strenth i managed to cling onto a fallen tree with the reciever in my gob,i got to the banking and composed myself got to the gos and the cock bird and took some 25 minutes to come too,so i started to walk back as i did not know where i was but met a farmer on the way and he asked what i was doing told him the story and he told me i was a lucky lad as many a man had perished in that river due to the under water currents,ended up getting back to my mates some 2 hours 50 minutes later getting asked on the way through Comrie Village is that a Peri as you could imagine a littlemy good mate Lee McGrority will testify,swore blind it will never happen again..sorry for ranting on.

TJ
Old 21-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Passage

My uncle stepped down a rabbit hole a few years ago and broke his leg lol

Cant help but laugh