Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 27-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Kevin Riach - BFC Mid West region
Passage

Default Harris Hawk Weights

Ive recently aquried a nice male harris,18mts old, second hand, only two owners! when purchased was told his flying weight was around 1lb 6oz, flew feather well but for rabbit, better at 1lb 51/2 oz,he was 1lb 7oz when I bought him. On pinching up the breast, I remarked he felt quite sharp at that,and if I followed advice, he would of course be dead! consiquently when I got him back, flew and fed him 5 chicks, the bird has been instant ever since, and over the last couple of weeks have been pushing him up. Hes a fantistic not so little guy! and flies to anyone with a glove up, with a great laid back tempermant to boot! So this morning I took him up the lane for a usual quick strole, were he followed on, like a leach, and chased a woody, and I fed up with half a quail and two chicks. Now hes been wormed, and he is definatly a male, and this morning, on the balance was 1lb 12 1/2oz! Ive trained around 80 Harris hawks over the years, the lightest male 1lb 2 1.2 oz the lightest female 1lb 12oz the heaviest male 1lb 12oz, the heaviest female 2lb 6oz, all flying hard. Im out with guests this weekend so will try him at this, but after may carry on pushing him up..hes allready exceded my heaviest male, so just wondered what others have flown there males at,, just interested..
Old 27-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Default Re: Harris Hawk Weights

Flown a couple at just over 1-9, I'm surprised the last owners caught anything with him. Must have been lacking in a bit energy, down hill slips at ferreted rabbits only I guess, hoping they didn't jink.

Tom
Old 27-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Doug Tricker
Passage

Hi, I flew a male for 7 seasons at between 1lb 8oz and 1lb 9 oz.
How can you be sure this hawk is a male, have you had it surgically sexed?
Old 27-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Passage

Tom Luckily Ive taken into account that an eyass can go down to a remarkably very low weight physically in its first few mts, so have no doubt that these weights would have been genuine, but with experience I also know that the same eyass later down the line, will never make those low weights again and live. So to any new asspiring falconers out there, please head this advice, and start your season afresh, judging your hawks responsiveness, not nessersarily last years weight chart! And set yourself another practise of feeling that breastbone, EVERY time hes weighed, its an skill thats learned, but will turn out to be the most important part of this art you will ever learn...
Old 27-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Andy
Haggard

I bought a male harris with the guy teling me it flew at 1.5 i got it going and it flew at 1.12-13 and avery weight well in 2lb mark his scales must of been realy broke. they are a few what fly at these weights,i think they got smaller over the years.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies Not Talkies View Post
Hi, I flew a male for 7 seasons at between 1lb 8oz and 1lb 9 oz.
How can you be sure this hawk is a male, have you had it surgically sexed?
The size and width of the train, thickness of tarsus, size of hind toe, head shape and a few others, his keel is shaping up nicely, but theres still a bit to go!