Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > General Medical Questions & Discussions

Old 19-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Egg

Default Redtail weakness

Hi im having a problem with my Redtail he has currently broken both legs while being on a short leash in the garden, both within 8 weeks, the vet seems to think its a genetic problem i have been giving him the usual vitamins during the moult but does anyone else have the same problem or heard of anything similar.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Steve Field
Passage

Default Re: Redtail weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard11020 View Post
Hi im having a problem with my Redtail he has currently broken both legs while being on a short leash in the garden, both within 8 weeks, the vet seems to think its a genetic problem i have been giving him the usual vitamins during the moult but does anyone else have the same problem or heard of anything similar.
Hi Richard
You have not put much information about him you say you have fed him through the molt but no referece to his age.
Has he been manned and flown before?
Was he tethered during the molt?
What weight was he during the molt?
What have you been feeding him through the molt?
How long is your leash?
Any pics of your set up and bird on the perch?
Old 19-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Mick Lewis
Passage

How old is he ? both legs in 8 weeks seems a underlying problem that could have started from the egg ,low calcium / poor diet feed to the parents or even it was the runt of the clutch,

Like steve says theres lots of questions to be answered to pass a better judgement

Mick
Old 19-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Egg

Hi sorry for the lack of onfo
He is just over 1 year old.
Fully manned and hunting but down for the moult.
He was on a very short leash due to the last time when we thought it may have been a touch long.
At present he is 2lb 7oz fat weight
Fed mainly on chick,rat,rabbit and vita hawk vitamins.
Hope this helps.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Passage

Red-tails are not immune to aspergillosis, and often they show very limited symptoms. One way that it shows up is in this leg breaking phenomenon and I have heard of this before, with the bird getting an aspergillosis infection that gets into their bones from their earliest days and then expressing the weakness there later on. I believe that it was determined via x-rays by looking closely at the long bones in the wing and leg. www.aspergillus.org.uk/secure/veterinary/ASPERGILLOSIS.pdf

Last edited by Pete J.; 19-06-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 19-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Egg

WOW something is wrong that is like saying that my eagle broke is legs.That should never had happen.I have lots of friends that have Red-Tails and hunt with them and so have i and never hard of that happen. Red-Tails have very strong legs.Maybe it got tangle any way sorry to here that, send some pictures so we can see how you have your set up for it.Maybe we will see something you do not see then we can help you out. Something is very wrong,again sorry to here that hope things work out Red-Tails are awesome Hawks.STAY STRONG
Old 19-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Alison
Passage

No kidding... even TRYING to break a RT's leg is like trying to break a Buick in half. It would be interesting to see if it is a straight fracture or a twisting sort of incident. I have a falconer nearby who's RT broke a leg while it was freelofted. Three of us looked over the mews and nobody could figure out how he did it to himself in there.
Old 19-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Mike
Brancher

If the Vet has Xrays they are most likely digital see if you can get him to email them to you and post them I'm sure it would be of interest even if it proves to be unhelpful. must be some issues as RT are renown for the strength of the legs.
Old 19-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Alison
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J. View Post
Red-tails are not immune to aspergillosis, and often they show very limited symptoms. One way that it shows up is in this leg breaking phenomenon and I have heard of this before, with the bird getting an aspergillosis infection that gets into their bones from their earliest days and then expressing the weakness there later on. I believe that it was determined via x-rays by looking closely at the long bones in the wing and leg. www.aspergillus.org.uk/secure/veterinary/ASPERGILLOSIS.pdf
Thank you for posting that link. Added that printout to my avian medical library.
Old 19-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Barry Haughton
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Alison View Post
No kidding... even TRYING to break a RT's leg is like trying to break a Buick in half. It would be interesting to see if it is a straight fracture or a twisting sort of incident. I have a falconer nearby who's RT broke a leg while it was freelofted. Three of us looked over the mews and nobody could figure out how he did it to himself in there.
Alison, one way a hawk can break a leg in perfectly safe mews is if they fly feet first directly against an internal corner. I have witnessed this phenomenon myself and it is really puzzling why they do it. In effect, the legs are jarred inwards by hitting the 45 deg sides of the corners, which is inducing a bending action. Goshawks particularly are prone to this behaviour, even in seclusions.
Hawks do some funny things during the moult and this is one of the reasons why I never allow weight to rise more than just a few ounces. I would rather wait another few weeks in the moult than have the bird jumping about and being hyperactive.
Bazzer