Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Blocks, Perches & Tethering Equipment

Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Haggard

Default Bungee Leashes?

Where can I buy one from or do people just make them? Are they a leash like a normal one or are they a piece you use between your normal leash and the block?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Alison
Passage

Default Re: Bungee leashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat67 View Post
Where can I buy one from or do people just make them? Are they a leash like a normal one or are they a piece you use between your normal leash and the block?
I bought mine from Mike's Falconry. They come in different thicknesses / lengths and are meant to be used either alone or with an extender like a regular leash. I use one on my Gos when tethering him out on the bow perch. Have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with feather damage.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Haggard

Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Rob Shirley
Passage

B&Q sell the stuff. Buy a metre or so and fashion your own from it.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Rob Punch
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt22-250 View Post
B&Q sell the stuff. Buy a metre or so and fashion your own from it.
Double R products at the falconry fair one year had a bow perch ring made from a piece of high tensile cable. I thought the idea quite innovative, it would certainly "give" enough to prevent a birds legs being pulled out by the roots.

B&Q sell shockcord which I'm sure can also work, but there are many stories of feather damage.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Bungee Leashes?

Dont like them. Never have liked them. Even more so after warning a mate what could happen if the bird bated hard and got sprung backwards and explained that a hawk isnt designed to land in reverse. He ignored me. His female harris broke its leg that badly it had to be put to sleep.

A regular leash is my own preferd choice. I dont see any benifit from a bungee leash other than danger. Just my opinion though.

Regards
Dean
Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Haggard

Ok thank you. I will pass this on as it was an 'idea' for someone who's bird already has an almost mended broken leg... It seems a bad idea knowing that now It was already bowed on a short leash so I dont know what else can be said apart from what the vet dealing with it suggests..
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat67 View Post
Ok thank you. I will pass this on as it was an 'idea' for someone who's bird already has an almost mended broken leg... It seems a bad idea knowing that now It was already bowed on a short leash so I dont know what else can be said apart from what the vet dealing with it suggests..
Hello Kat. Is the hawk tetherd in its mews to a bow? If not then why not try a screen or raptor post? Only having the length of the jesses the hawk wont be able to get any great speed up to do any damage. Also less bating as the hawk wont like being upside down. And being at a hieght less intimadating when making in (towering over on pick up). Once steady, you can go back to the bow when bating has more or less diminished.

Obviously the hawk shouldnt be left unattended. And also a bath would have to be offerd at times.

Just a thought.

Dean
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Haggard

No idea!! It was an idea that crossed my mind this morning & I told a friend i'd investigate their use but she should take her vets advise anyway..
Hope you dont mind but im copying the info you've posted too for her to read
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Geoff
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Dont like them. Never have liked them. Even more so after warning a mate what could happen if the bird bated hard and got sprung backwards and explained that a hawk isnt designed to land in reverse. He ignored me. His female harris broke its leg that badly it had to be put to sleep.

A regular leash is my own preferd choice. I dont see any benifit from a bungee leash other than danger. Just my opinion though.

Regards
Dean
Thats exactly why I would never use one...The possibilty for injury to limbs or feathers is very real.