Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Mews, Weatherings or Temporary Housing

Old 17-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Brancher

Default Building a mews

Ok whilst i am looking for a mentor i decided to start building a mews, this is just a rough idea so far, and ideas welcome

The Metal "garage" is 20 ft long by 10ft wide and 7.5 ft high.

I'm keeping half of it for storage (length), so the mews rough size will be 8ft long and 10ft wide and 7.5 ft high and will be galvanized steel surrounded on the outside, possibly double plated on the back and the side and the front will have bars, and possibly something to cover this if the weather gets bad

The actual frame is thick 1 1/2" thick metal that currently needs to be treated for rust and a hammerite protection undercoat put onto it, then wood surrounded the mews on the inside then correx sheet, to help keep the mews clean

The roof will also be galvanized as well and i am thinking of using a clear plastic sheeting as well so the bird gets light in the day time, all the metal will be secured down with metal pegs connected to the metal side rails

The actual front doors and frame are at least 200kg a side as we had to cut the front down as it is 2"thick steel from 47 odd yrs ago (the original builder worked for port talbot steel and had it for free lol)

Here is the actual unit before i ripped it all down and transported it to my place

Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/metal-gara...vip=true&rt=nc

Also plan to use a 63mm pvc 90 degree pipe with a cover so i can drop food in rather than the hawk seeing me as a meal
I have also decided on the 10/20mm sprout flooring after i lay down a patio slab (ex council slabs brand new)the frame legs will also be drilled and metal pegs pushed at least 10" into the ground and bolted into place

There will also be a divider that has a door that opens towards me which will have his weight and food prep room and if i can get my uncle to get electric into the shed with waterproofing(all under floor) then i will add a small freezer for his food and equipment all in one place

Then i sort of have the idea for the avery for him as well but better off making that stage 2

Ideas and criticisms welcome
Old 17-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Default Re: Building a mews

Does it not sometimes get hot where you are?......could be like an oven in there.
Old 18-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Does it not sometimes get hot where you are?......could be like an oven in there.
It can get warm specially like this summer, but there will be large metal bars on the front and if it becomes too hot there is the option of a fan through the food prep area, or could fabricate something, i am thinking long term and keeping the hawk all it's life or mine

Other options are a skylight as such which can be opened and closed again would have to think about metal bars above that, plus the hawk would be in the avary most days anyway
Old 18-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Passage

I have the greatest respect for personal ingenuity and fabrication skills. That's a lump of a thing on the ebay picture and you'd have to be an inspired grafter to dismantle it, cart it home and turn it into something else entirely. I can see its potential for storage (well it already is a storage unit) but can't visualise exactly how you intend to utilise it as housing for the hawk, since you're also going to have an aviary. Unless you mean it to be the covered section and intend to somehow build a flight off it?
Personally, I have just the one aviary, wood built, brick based, built off a south facing wall... with an open area, a sheltered area and a discreet food hatch.
Old 18-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

a 40 ft shipping container in my view would hardly make a suitable aviary / mews. my main concern would be in winter this would turn into a freezer. it certainly would not entertain my garden which ever way it was dressed up. either self build or wait until the right accommodation
turns up.

Edited to say upon looking closer it appears not to be a shipping container but i still stand by my above reply
Old 18-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Bob Jeffryes
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
I have the greatest respect for personal ingenuity and fabrication skills. That's a lump of a thing on the ebay picture and you'd have to be an inspired grafter to dismantle it, cart it home and turn it into something else entirely. I can see its potential for storage (well it already is a storage unit) but can't visualise exactly how you intend to utilise it as housing for the hawk, since you're also going to have an aviary. Unless you mean it to be the covered section and intend to somehow build a flight off it?
Personally, I have just the one aviary, wood built, brick based, built off a south facing wall... with an open area, a sheltered area and a discreet food hatch.
I agree with rene im sure it would of been easier to start from scratch and build it.

Last edited by Sue2; 18-09-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 18-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Spar09 View Post
I agree with rene im sure it would of been easier to start from scratch and build it.
You're agreeing with something I didn't actually say.

Last edited by Sue2; 18-09-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 18-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Brancher

I had planned to have a back door converted in the garage at the back so the hawk could be taken directly into the avary and connected to the mews so there is no gap

Http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=84314818746

That is what I had in mind, obviously slightly different design inside

I have a backup plan which is a apex shed that I currently have and use for storage, but it would need to be modified to the inside for cleaning with f10 disinfectant, probably cortex sheeting, the shed is 8ftx6ftx6.5ft again can connect the avary up to the shed and use a section of the garage for weighing and making up food(don't think my wife would enhappy me cutting up animals in the kitchen lol)

This is why I thought I would post up regarding the mews 1st as I would prefer to get it right 1st time

P.s that garage weighs roughly 2 tons, majority is the front doors and frame and all the galvanised steel covering was tight against the metal frame so no wind could rip into it, including the roof section

Last edited by Retribution; 18-09-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old 19-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Brancher

Anyone else have any ideas?

The plan was to have a mews for the hawk to sleep then a avary for him to train and get lighting, but can always switch to the large wooden shed
Old 19-09-2013, 05:37 PM
James Mason
Passage

My mews is on here...

Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=82619

Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81636

Mine is 16ft long x 10ft wide and incorporates the weighing room with double door security etc...

Brick built, since these images were taken the walls have since been rendered to help keep things clean...

Have a look at the images...

But personally I would not use what you have brought for the bird... it will be like a furnace in the summer and a freezer in the winter...

Also I personally do not like mesh I prefer bars they look a whole lot better and there is nothing for the bird to cling to and hang off smashing up tail feathers etc...

Have a look and the comments and perhaps you can formulate some new idea's...

But think about security and ensure all your plans have a double door feature...