Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Hawk Food & Nutritional Needs

Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Egg

Default Would you feed this to your falcon?

I was shopping around for rabbit meat online and I stumbled across this:

It advertises as follows:

Only fresh meat used.
No Grains.
No Soy
No additives
No artificial food coloring
No food perservative/Antiseptic

Contains:
Beef 34%(Lung,Heart,Meat,Kidney,Brisket)
Turkey 17% (Liver, Heart)
Rabbit meat 14%
Calcium carbonate

I hope I won't get blasted by even thinking of feeding canned foods to my birds but I'm really looking to add something on top of my daily mouse/rats/quails routine. (for sanitary reasons I don't feed day-old chicks)

What do you guys think?

P.S. Again I would like to emphasize that I'm looking for something to add on top, not replace.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Default Re: Would you feed this to your falcon?

Hi Billy

My instant response was no

I have visited their website and wanted to establish if this was raw canned meat or cooked, I can only make the assumption when it is talking about wet meat is that’s its raw.

It also contains calcium carbonate (Salt) but in what quantity? I again am making the assumption that this is to help with its shelf life but not great in a hawks diet.

Even with that information I would still not feed it to my hawks when you have mouse rat and quail to hand that I would consider a perfect all round diet.

No blasting just my opinion.

ATB
Clive
Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeHawk View Post
Hi Billy

My instant response was no

I have visited their website and wanted to establish if this was raw canned meat or cooked, I can only make the assumption when it is talking about wet meat is that’s its raw.

It also contains calcium carbonate (Salt) but in what quantity? I again am making the assumption that this is to help with its shelf life but not great in a hawks diet.

Even with that information I would still not feed it to my hawks when you have mouse rat and quail to hand that I would consider a perfect all round diet.

No blasting just my opinion.

ATB
Clive
Thanks so much for the friendly input Seeing that it's 34% Beef + 17% Turkey +14% Rabbit I'm wondering where the other 35% have gone. I'm going to take a guess that's all Calcium Carbonate+the liquids in jelly form.

You're right, gonna steer clear from this.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Egg

Quote:
when you have mouse rat and quail to hand that I would consider a perfect all round diet.

ATB Clive
I'm really glad to hear this, I always thought I needed to add another item to make it complete. That's why I was searching for rabbit meat.

Since we're on the subject, my bird is on Nekton S and Nekton MSA as well, do you think it's even needed? I mean there's no problem with my bird at the moment, I'm just taking precautions.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Billy

I have used supplement in the past but my belief is they are not required if the hawks are getting a good all round varied diet.

I was a little curious about your comment on day old chicks which I do use in my hawks diet, you mentioned for reasons of sanitary? Is this just something in Japan I am not aware of or just your personal preference.

It’s a shame the forum is not as active as it used to be because at one time you would have lots of responses and opinions, maybe search some of the older threads there will be lots of information re supplements and day old chicks pros and cons

ATB
Clive
Old 08-11-2017, 06:12 AM
Egg

Hi there all out of interest have a look at rawtdoor Ltd my mother uses this company for pure raw natural meat for her a schnowzer hope this helps
Old 08-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Egg

Quote:
Billy

I have used supplement in the past but my belief is they are not required if the hawks are getting a good all round varied diet.

I was a little curious about your comment on day old chicks which I do use in my hawks diet, you mentioned for reasons of sanitary? Is this just something in Japan I am not aware of or just your personal preference.

It’s a shame the forum is not as active as it used to be because at one time you would have lots of responses and opinions, maybe search some of the older threads there will be lots of information re supplements and day old chicks pros and cons

ATB
Clive
I don't know if it's ok to necro old threads here but I'll take your advice.

Here's the story about the DOC. Couple months back I was on my daily feeding routine and notice this one chick that had a huge bloated stomach that looked somewhat purple. You can tell right away that it's sick because it looked very different from the others. I proceeded to remove the internals like usual and as soon as I cut up the stomach area, a large amount of orange colored puss gushed out and was all over my hands. I then immediately threw it out because it didn't feel right. I know most people think it's just yolk. But after handling hundreds of DOCs you'd be able tell the difference between yolk and a pile of unusual puss. About 2 weeks later I found another one that also had a bloated stomach. This time alittle less swollen and less purple and also less puss. Being the idiot that I am I washed it off, cleaned out the insides and gave it to my bird. Boy do I regret this. My bird stopped eating after that day and was dropping weight real fast. I know I fudged up big time so I took it to the avian vet I spoke of yesterday. He told me it was a intestinal infection and with some meds should be ok in 2 weeks. To this day I still don't know what the problem was or if the culprit was really indeed the DOC with the bloated stomach but I just didn't want to take any more chances. DOCs are cheap here in Japan, they're not as nutritional as mouse or quails so there I was asking myself to why I'm taking the risk.

The reason for the bloated stomach on the DOC could have been many, it could have been from something as simple as a bacterial intrusion during incubation to something as complicated as the Marek's Diease. (I doubt it's that because then my bird would be dead already.) Anyways I'm not an expert on raising chickens but from what the vet told me, DOCs/Quails/Pigeons are are just dirty in general. He actually told me to feed him nothing but mouse/rats if I want to reduce risks.

I know Rabbits and ocasional beef is ok to give but yeah, that's the reason why I stopped giving DOCs.

Oh I want to add that the orange puss I spoke of was very pudding like. Where regular yolk is more mushy and watery.

I want to add that the orange puss I spoke of was very pudding like. Where regular yolk is more mushy and watery.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Egg

Hello . Perhaps I'm mistaken , but I've always assumed that all canned meat will have been cooked & that heating to the point where all the bacteria are killed , is what makes it such an effective food preservation process .
Raw meat would decompose , in or out of a can .
Probably OK for cats though - & I understand Dot Cotton's partial to the odd tin !
Best wishes , David .
Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Lyne,

I would not feed any canned food. If you are feeding mouse, rat and quail your rations must be all that is needed.

Rabbit is not meat of high quality.

Harry.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Haggard

No it does not look suitable.