Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Hunting Gear & Miscellaneous

Old 29-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Passage

Lightbulb Making a "throw" Lure

Step1:
Make your template and cut out your leather.
Step2:
Bond your two halves together at the tail piece and add the throwing line eyelet.
Step3:
Mark out your stitch line and sew together to make a "purse" ready for packing and then add an eyelet for attaching a "food string" to.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Passage

Default making a "Throw Lure" Part 2

Step4:
"Flat Line" 5oz fishing weights are to be used in the lure .... they have rounded edges and are small and compact. I have also added the cable tie eyelets for attaching the wings.
Step5:
Bond your weights into a piece of leather that can be cut to shape to stop movement in the lure.
Step6:
Cut out your weights section to prevent any movement within the lure.... this will also "compartment" the lure for padding..... I have also sewn in a top line to the lure for the weight leather insert to sit against. NB.... I only used two of the 5oz weights.

Last edited by GriffMJ; 29-07-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Passage

Thumbs up

Step7:
Pack your lure with cushion stuffing ...sewing up the lure as you go.
Step8:
Really push in the stuffing making the leather stretch to ensure a good impact area.
Step9:
Cable tie your wings on ....one each side so there is always a wing upwards when it lands for a plucking session and also simulate flapping wings when the lure is turning in the air or rolling on the ground..... go and take bits off your old lures and add the the food string and toggle ..... tie a short throwing string with small swivel attached. You will have an excellent 1lb throwing lure that works a treat for your Tiercel.

You could paint the lure to simulate whatever prey species you are intending to concentrate on .... or just dye the main body of the lure in a plain colour.

Designed and made by M-J Hoods.

Last edited by GriffMJ; 30-07-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned
Passage

Thumbs up

Nice , do you have more pics of say the finished article. I made a throw lure for one of my falcons she ended up carrying it nearly four miles away. I reckon I made it too small and light.

All the best

Mark.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned
Passage

Thumbs up

gonna definately make a proper one this time mine weighed no were near 1Lb I now can see where I went wrong.

Thanks
Old 29-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Keith Mills
Haggard

I use old polly bags from the supermarket for stuffing! its amazing how many you can stuff in and you can achieve quite a weight with them without using "hard" weights? gives a firm but none dangerous base and they are virtually rot proof! i know some people use cat litter? but never tried it myself?
Old 29-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongVVing
Nice , do you have more pics of say the finished article. I made a throw lure for one of my falcons she ended up carrying it nearly four miles away. I reckon I made it too small and light.

All the best

Mark.
Hi Mark

You can add more "Flat" line weights to get more weight into the Lure for a Falcon.... they come in 5oz & 3oz size.... so you can weight the Lure according to size of Falcon.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Boy
i use old polly bags from the supermarket for stuffing! its amazing how many you can stuff in and you can achieve quite a weight with them without using "hard" weights? gives a firm but none dangerous base and they are virtually rot proof! i know some people use cat litter? but never tried it myself?
As long as you tie and bond the "Flat" line weights into leather and cut it so there is no movement within the lure AND really pack the ú3.99 cushion stuffing in (from Dunhelms) then its all safe
Old 29-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Keith Mills
Haggard

But make sure they are well under the padding to avoid bruising to the birds feet?
Old 29-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Boy
but make sure they are well under the padding to avoid bruising to the birds feet?
The weights are right in the top middle of the lure ...... padding is packed in either side to a depth of 1 1/2 inches either side.... no problem