Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Brancher

Question Quarry list of the Harris Hawk v.s. others...?

Hi I've been reading a few book on falconry and hawking and none seem to be able to give me a simple answer- what bird hunts what??
I'm guessing that most hawks will take most things? But some have to be stronger in some situations... Like I think I'm right in thinking that the Harris is more of an all rounder- better with rabbits... but the Red Tail hawk is best for squirrels, apparently... What do you guys reckon can be taken by each- sorry I'm just asking if some good hearted person might take the time to educate a hawking noob like me?
Basically could you just make like a little list- e.g.
Harris Hawk- best for Rabbits, won't take pheasants... can hunt all these...
Don't know if ^^that's even correct but you see why I need your help lol
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Quarry list of the Harris Hawk v.s. others...?

Simple list,

there is no simple list.

It is easier to say what a harris cannot catch, simply because of what they are capable of when allowed free flight.

The same could be said for goshawks although they will do it all off the fist aswell.

Redtails, now this is a bit easier, off the fist they will take rabbits hares and squirrels, out of trees they can take all of the above, but you can add gamebirds, and water fowl to the list.

What you are asking is quite hard to explain, because up until the season just gone I would have said that my male hh wouldnt have been able to take a magpie in a fair flight, ( simply cause I had watched him try so many times) but this season (10th) he took 3, so quarry lists are always changing.

If you get what I mean.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Passage

Here is a thread with a list of what folk here have caught with their harris hawks and redtails.

There is a huge crossover and they will take roughly the same species however i think it goes to show that the harris can and will take a wider range of prey species.

(frogs not included). lol.

Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24144
Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Chris Schofield
Haggard

I wood have to say it all depends on the bird my fhh i dont think ther is much she whont cach
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
i wood have to say it all depends on the bird my fhh i dont think ther is much she whont cach
roe deer, foxes, cows, sheep, boar, badger, pine marten, wildcat, red deer, sika, muntjack, fallow, wallaby, dogs, cats, all to be found in the british countryside mate.

Is your HH ferret safe tigg????
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Chris Schofield
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisii View Post
roe deer, foxes, cows, sheep, boar, badger, pine marten, wildcat, red deer, sika, muntjack, fallow, wallaby, dogs, cats, all to be found in the british countryside mate.

is your HH ferret safe tigg????
ye m8 she is verry ferret safe and she as olso got a lot of portensal but in my apinyan not the rite forcaner to get the mest out of her

Last edited by Leo 1; 12-04-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Paul
Passage

redtails and harris hawks will take a wide variety of quary from as small as field voles right up to full grown hares IF THEY ARE FIT and CONFIDENT to start with

just my own oppinion

PAUL
Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Chris Schofield
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
redtails and harris hawks will take a wide variety of quary from as small as field voles right up to full grown hares IF THEY ARE FIT and CONFIDENT to start with

just my own oppinion

PAUL
Ye i agree if your hh or rt or any bird is fit and as the bolls they will chas whot the whont and hairs god my hh loves them she wood sooner chas a hair than a rabbit
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
ye m8 she is verry ferret safe and she as olso got a lot of portensal but in my apinyan not the rite forcaner to get the mest out of her
I dont understand tigg.

You say she has loads of potential but you aint the right falconer to get the best out of her?
I am confused mate. i may have picked you up wrong, if so sorry.
Old 13-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Passage

There is a big cross over in quarry lists, and as Matt said, no such thing as a simple list cos it depends on circumstances, fitness levels, confidence, weight, motivation, foot size, so many variables that its difficult to generalise.

With HHs i have taken: rabbit very consistantly with both sexes. Pheasants on the rise/on the ground. Partridge both on the ground and 1 in flight (a 1 off!!). Moorhen. Duck (on the rise and on the ground). Crow. Coot. Squirrel. All manner of small rodents. Enough frogs/toads to feed the whole of France LOL. Pigeon. Stoat. Starlings. My favourite quarry with HHs is undoubtable rabbits cos predator and prey are well matched for fair flights. I am always over the moon if i take game birds, but for serious game bird flying, its goshawks all the way.

I have never flown a gos, but they are certainly capable of all the species listed above, and when it comes to the game birds, will take them in flight, and IMHO in far greater style than a HH.

Again with Reds, i would generalise by saying they are used primarily at ground game? Rabbit, hare, squirrel. I have never known a Red to follow on as gamely as a HH, but have seen some lovely off the fist flights. If flying from trees, game birds etc can be added to the menu.