Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > First Aid, Common Medical Assistance & Rehabilitation

Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Passage

Default Frank Beebe: A Legend

Hi,

I just thought I would share some recent pictures of Frank Beebe, still hawking at 93! I first met him when I was 9 after reading his book Hawks, Falcons and Falconry after finding out that he lived very close to me on Vancouver Island.

The first picture is of Frank and his 11 times intermewed passage female Gyrfalcon. This was taken one year ago.

The second picture is of Frank with a 2007 female Harris Hawk that I bred for him this year. The contraption on top of the hood is an automatic hood opener and closer made of spring metal, one of his many innovations.

He still gets out daily with the birds. I can only hope that I would be so lucky.

I have told Frank about the IFF. He is very interested, but does not have a computer. It would be great to get him on here though. He is a wealth of knowledge.

(Please do not copy or print photos without permission. Thank you.)

Sincerely,

Ben Wallace
Www.shaheensolutions.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frank 2.jpg (79.5 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg Frank 1.JPG (96.3 KB, 447 views)
Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Neil
Haggard

Default Re: Frank Beebe: A Legend

Good to see.I had the privelage of meeting him a few years ago at the falconry fair. A real gentleman.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Good to see.I had the privelage of meeting him a few years ago at the falconry fair. A real gentleman.
Same goes mate i all so met him at the falconers fair a few years ago
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Passage

Never meet him, but have a few off franks books, looks great ,be great if he did come on here,
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Great to see him still flying birds at that age.

Tom
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Salman
Passage

The man is a legend indeed, and I think all of us falconers should be concerned about the welfare of all such senior falconers whose contributions to the sport are monumental, and who have enriched and guided several generations of falconers through their mentoring and advice.

Perhaps we, as the IFF, could honour them for their achievements and contribution, and also set up a fund to at least provide them some material and monetary help if they need it.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Passage

thankyou so much for posting those pictures, and for letting us know how frank is doing,,
i cant tell you how much i admire this man,and how thankful i am for the trails that he blazed.
and his willingness to write the truth
Old 08-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Greg Mikkelson
Haggard

Glad to see Frank is still doing great. I had the pleasure of picking him up at the airport when he came to the Minnesota Falconers Association Game Dinner a few yrs ago. It was hard to keep.

Greg
Old 08-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Brancher

It's great to see Frank is still doing well. I have a few of his books and hoped to meet him when I was on the island taking my course in Nanaimo but he wasn't able to come out and visit us. He was going to show us his rabbit lure machine that he had and we were all very sad he couldn't come and show it to us. It will be a shame as these true legends pass on and alot of thier knowledge is gone. I was once told he fed his birds mainly on boneless skinless chicken breast and very little casting material, someone needs to sit him down and get that knowledge of his down on paper so it can be shared into the future. I know he has written lots of books but I would love to hear more of his personal stories and opinions.
Cheers,

Bruce
Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Passage

Frank is an Iron Man of falconry for sure. Such a intuitive and observant brain on that one! Great to see he's still at it.
Is it that he doesn't like computers? It would be great to set him up with a simple Mac Mini, keyboard, flat screen and dsl. No worries about viruses and such with a Mac and could set it up for him so it's very simple to use (keep the icons to a minimum). It would be interesting to know if he just dislikes them or would be open to it. I'm sure there is information that hasn't made it into his books for one reason or another.
Thanks for posting about his current status.
Pete J.