Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Blocks, Perches & Tethering Equipment

Old 27-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Brancher

Default Eagle Aylmeri Bracelets

Just wondering what the Europeans are doing for eagle bracelets? I've tried a number of patterns and different materials and I've yet to be satisfied. It seems that about everything does some amount of wear to the feathers under the cuffs and that just bothers me.

My latest endeavor is trying to line the cuffs with a spongy neoprene covered with very supple buckskin to see if that yields better results; I'll let you know what the results yield.

Anyone have any ideas on different patterns or materials that can be used? Please no feedback on training the bird differently for less bates; that's a different discussion than talking about optimal eagle equipment.

Regards,

Troy
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Egg

Default Re: Eagle Aylmeri Bracelets

I just came on here to ask the same question and (for once) thought I'd check existing threads.

My steppe eagle just seems to be totally plucked by his bracelets. I was wondering if making them tighter might help. I tried looser and he just stepped out of one of them so they are as loose as I dare, but it doesn't work. I was also wondering about deeper (i.e. from top to bottom) to spread the load a little more. I'm guessing you've tried these things would like to hear your experience.

As for materials I would have thought neoprene giving more grip might make things worse. If it was a human problem (as in, er..... cycle short "issues" ) you'd use vaseline to help stop anything being plucked.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Karen Carroll
Passage

If there is a better system to stop the wear and tear on the eagle feathers, I'm all for seeing it. I use anklets which are a 3 piece system. The first is thick kangaroo that I had my apprentice (who got this lesson from a saddle maker) to as to the 'correct' cut of the leather. I've always cut 'across' the grain to minimize stretching. He showed me a way that I think does work out better. Diagonially across the grain, keeps the stretching at bay. My anklet is a double thick folded one. I insert a piece of leather in the middle. Currently, it is a pigskin suede cut from an old jacket. This keeps the folded pieces together. They are glued with the smelly, contact cement, because it stays pliable. My eagle has gotten into the habit of picking the jesses last year. I changed them twice and had to quit 'feathering' them. He would grab the feathering tabs and tear them up. I now 'roll' the bottom and it seems to be comfortable with it. We will see though.

I then use for the grommet a #2 long shank grommet from Lord and Hodges. www.lordandhodge.com The tube is long enough for all those layers of leather. Then for setting the grommet, I use the twist (English) type of setter I purchased from Northwoods.

Here is a thread that also discusses this:
Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25650
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Justin Leyte リート ジャスティン - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Troy, in Jameson's book they mentioned using sheepskin on hawkeagles, with the fur side cropped short, but still intact. The fleece relieved the rubbing you have problems with. Worth a try if you have a secure weathering.

Justin
[COLOR="Red"]UPDATED New and used Tracker Classic / Marshall Scout telemetry systems starting at ú350. Worry-free 1 year warranty on used equipment. Buy from the most trusted name in used telemetry. Many other systems also available. Free worldwide EMS shipping from Canada. Please email me at [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG] or view available systems here on the forum by clicking http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127432
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Egg

OK I think I get it. Does the pig suede go on the inside? i.e. the bit that makes contact with the leg/feathers. Is the reason for all this thickness to stop the bracelets stretching? And if that is the case is the stretched looseness of my current bracelets contributing to the problem?

Re jessed my tiercel barbary/peregrine yesterday - SO simple by comparison!?!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Terry Burden - Professional Breeder/Admin
Haggard

Hi Troy

Unfortunately there is always going to be a problem with fitting anklets to a big Eagle like a Goldie if only there were a way of stopping bating and biting them at any time but no matter how much time you put in to the training once you put the eagle up for moult and then reclaim it after for the coming season you will get the bating again. The sheer weight and size of the bird and the power it exerts onto the anklets will always cause problems no matter how hard you try to figure out a way of preventing it from happening.
We have tried different types of leather and have found that thick Kangaroo Hide that has been well greased and softened is about the best option for us we also found very good results using Mikey's Beeswax Formula where we melt the Beeswax in the Microwave oven and then dip the anklets into it until all the bubbles disappear showing that the Formula has soaked right through the Leather this makes them very supple and soft but also retaining the strength. Another thing we have started to do when we first pull the Eagle from the chamber is to make a loop in the leash using Bungie line so that there is some give in it and this softens the impact when the Eagle bates.
I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I hope it helps a bit
Terry