Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 29-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Passage

Default Tame Hack

Ok , i'm sure this has been covered before at some stage , it's really a response to Neils thread and thoughts on doing it the same thing myself .. abet with a " Normal Gos"

My plans are to imprint a Gos this year and tame hack it a long side one of it's siblings.

The idea obviously isn't a new one , but Mc Dermotts new book highlights the positives of this idea for me, Personally I can't imagine a better way to have a young bird develop, both physically and mentally.
Has anyone done this type of thing before? And kept a note on how it worked out?

Chris.
Old 29-05-2009, 02:06 PM
IFF Sponsor
Passage

Default Re: Tame Hack

Its a heck of a risk with a Gos as learn to hunt so quickly. I have done lots of falcons but your a braver man than me to do it with a Gos Gungerdin!!

Info for people interested in taking up Falconry can be found here:

Old 29-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

yer sounds well interesting. like the idea of doing it in a urban enviroment.
how was you looking at tame hacking? doing an all day hack or just an evening fly around and then called into a lure?
Atb ash
Old 29-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Passage

We'll more or less imprint them both using the recipe method, up until the early brancher stage, at which point both birds will be used to being fed and recalled to a lure.
Early in the morning they'll be put out to hack on a arranged platform near cover and pretty much away from any disturbance. And left to their own devices until the evening , at which point they'll both be recalled and fed.
Each day we'll repeat this up and to the point where both birds are showing signs of hunting.
After this hacking will be discontinued and formal training continued.
My plan is to use marshal backpacks and transmitters as a precaution against loss whist out a hack.

Chris.
Old 29-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Alf

My advise is don’t extend the hack period with imprint goshawks too long other wise they will be reluctant to ride the fist. A week at the most! Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakerYZF View Post
Ok , i'm sure this has been covered before at some stage , it's really a response to Neils thread and thoughts on doing it the same thing myself .. abet with a " Normal Gos"

My plans are to imprint a Gos this year and tame hack it a long side one of it's siblings.

The idea obviously isn't a new one , but Mc Dermotts new book highlights the positives of this idea for me, Personally I can't imagine a better way to have a young bird develop, both physically and mentally.
Has anyone done this type of thing before? And kept a note on how it worked out?

Chris.
Old 29-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

What about a more of a controled tame hack? where there let loose in a field in your company for the last few hours before being called into there lure and taken home?
Old 29-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Alf

Ash it down to feeding and weight control later in the day things start to tell the gos he needs feeding. I worked on a morning feed them taking him around 4 o’clock pm brought him down around 9 o’clock at the end of his stint he was keen to feed and that was top weight. Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAsh123 View Post
what about a more of a controled tame hack? where there let loose in a field in your company for the last few hours before being called into there lure and taken home?
Old 29-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Colin Asquith
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakerYZF View Post

Chris.
Dave joans did it a couple of years ago with two males from his back garden and he lived on a pheasant shoot dont think he had too much trouble i'me sure he put it in one of his dvds....
Old 29-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Alf

Well I extended the tame hack with this imprint too long this hawk became a right **** on the fist wanting to be off in the trees all the time.
Never again! Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagulBasher View Post
dave joans did it a couple of years ago with two males from his back garden and he lived on a pheasant shoot dont think he had too much trouble i'me sure he put it in one of his dvds....
Old 29-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Alf

Just realised he haking from his garden so he’s not brining the hawks down following them? . Big difference ! Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagulBasher View Post
dave joans did it a couple of years ago with two males from his back garden and he lived on a pheasant shoot dont think he had too much trouble i'me sure he put it in one of his dvds....