Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 30-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Passage

Default Waking the Goshawk

today we will be pulling the female goshawk we have bred from her seclusion pen in preparation for her flying season in 2009 she was hatched on the 16th may reared in the house for around four days and then put back with her parents along with two other siblings to be parent reared.
my pal frank travelled over from the uk yeasterday for a weeks holiday, he will be taking her home with him when he goes, in the meantime we will be waking the goshawk.
having both read the article in the bfc spring newsletter about the method of manning a fresh pulled chamber raised or passage hawk we both agreed to give it a try, two days and two nights of intense manning for the hawk without allowing her to sleep is our aim.
we will take the dutys in shifts giving each of us time to rest.
this could be one of the shorter diaries, i will keep it updated as we progress with some photographs and the hawks progress.
Keith
Old 30-07-2009, 07:05 AM
K
Passage

Default Re: WAKING THE GOSHAWK

The best proven method for passagers or temper only aviary p/r birds from long time. I read and heard from different people who have success with this method in short time.

Success!
Old 30-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Gerard
Passage

Hi Keith,

Good luck with it mate, and I really look forward to your Goshawk threads!!. I will read with immense interest mate, as per usual..

Regards,

Gerard
Old 30-07-2009, 08:06 AM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Good luck with that Keith, will be reading this with interest

All the best

Johny
Old 30-07-2009, 08:16 AM
John Winder
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Good luck with that Keith, will be reading this with interest

All the best

Johny
Me too. any pics please.

Johnny
Old 30-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Brancher

Hi
Briony & I are still new to this game & have a small MHH (in moult at the mo) but the Gos is a striking bird to look at & we saw them on Springwatch in the wild.
Hope you have great sucess and like the others will be following your progress
ALB
Andi (Briony's Mum)
Old 30-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Passage

Default Re: Waking the Goshawk

the hawk has been pulled from the aviary this morning, the equipment had already been prepared, anklets mews jesses, plectrum type tail mount incorporating the tail bell, she was hooded and placed in a cating jacket whilst the furniture was put on, at ten oclock the job was done and frank took hold of his eyass goshawk for 2009, at first she was hanging upside down, when she settled down (on her haunches) after a minuite or two she stood upright.
the curtains in the living room were drawn closed early on to get her accustomed in dim light, now the hawk is pretty settled after two hours with the odd bate here and there.
we will be taking it in shifts between us both to complete the waking process.

Keith
Old 30-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned
Passage

Thumbs up Re: Waking the Goshawk

Good luck with her Keith and Fred, keep us updated on how she progresses.

Mark.
Old 30-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Passage

i dont know what you would gain from this method with a bird fresh from the aviary.
what are you hoping to achieve? a quasi tame bird in a short space of time?

the photos you put up seem to show a super stressed out bird with a chap staring directly into the hawks face.

the birds in the old texts, bare no resemblence to the hawk you are approaching with this method, in the sense that they would have been previously handled after capture fed through the hood and enseamed etc before making there way to whoever wished to train one.

what you are attempting can work well with spars, and the smaller accipiters however the goshawk has an entirely different metabolism and mind set.

I wish you luck and i will follow this thread with great interest.
Old 30-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Sam Rice
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
today we will be pulling the female goshawk we have bred from her seclusion pen in preparation for her flying season in 2009 she was hatched on the 16th may reared in the house for around four days and then put back with her parents along with two other siblings to be parent reared.
my pal frank travelled over from the uk yeasterday for a weeks holiday, he will be taking her home with him when he goes, in the meantime we will be waking the goshawk.
having both read the article in the bfc spring newsletter about the method of manning a fresh pulled chamber raised or passage hawk we both agreed to give it a try, two days and two nights of intense manning for the hawk without allowing her to sleep is our aim.
we will take the dutys in shifts giving each of us time to rest.
this could be one of the shorter diaries, i will keep it updated as we progress with some photographs and the hawks progress.
keith
Hi Keith i waked my first passage gos but had no one to help me so it was kind of one step forward and two back, but she was flying loose and killing in just under a month and rock steady so i think the waking helped.I also remember kitting her out and finding the brail still attached.

ATB
Sam