Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Reply

 
  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 26-02-2010, 04:39 PM
SmallPeregrine's Avatar
SmallPeregrine SmallPeregrine is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 5,430
Lightbulb Re: How tame is your Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Soulsby View Post
This season I will be flying my female Gyr/Saker "Juneau", despite flying very well last season and spending quite a lot of time with me she is still not tame. She doesn't like being touched and bites like a crocodile, how tame are your birds and what advice would you give in order to get her like "putty in my hands"

John
Manning process is grossly over looked and by passed by most where longwings are concerned. You man a bird properly and you find it will enable you to fly the Falcon at a higher weight( ie taking the fear factor away from the Falcon without having to drop the weight drastically to react to the Falconer in a positive manner).
As for biting some Peregrines are murder for it, again manning properly should cut this out. If a Falcon bites my finger I gently but firmly stick my finger to the back of its throat and it seems to work after a while. Again for that to work all depends on your pain threshold and how determined a biter the Peregrine is. You could put some mustard or similar on your finger that might work too...never tried it though
My two Falcons are like very tame to the point I travel them unhooded in the Car. I was once told they were too tame and shouldn't have them too tame otherwise you take the aggression out of them.... which I feel is complete rubbish
Regards
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0552.JPG (30.5 KB, 208 views)
__________________
Info for people interested in taking up Falconry can be found here:

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 26-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Pearl's Avatar
Pearl Pearl is offline
Mark
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ncnc
Posts: 16,112
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallPeregrine View Post
Manning process is grossly over looked and by passed by most where longwings are concerned. You man a bird properly and you find it will enable you to fly the Falcon at a higher weight( ie taking the fear factor away from the Falcon without having to drop the weight drastically to react to the Falconer in a positive manner).
As for biting some Peregrines are murder for it, again manning properly should cut this out. If a Falcon bites my finger I gently but firmly stick my finger to the back of its throat and it seems to work after a while. Again for that to work all depends on your pain threshold and how determined a biter the Peregrine is. You could put some mustard or similar on your finger that might work too...never tried it though
My two Falcons are like very tame to the point I travel them unhooded in the Car. I was once told they were too tame and shouldn't have them too tame otherwise you take the aggression out of them.... which I feel is complete rubbish
Regards
Phil
Do you find or think hooding or over hooding a falcon has any detriment to taming down ,??
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 26-02-2010, 05:42 PM
SmallPeregrine's Avatar
SmallPeregrine SmallPeregrine is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 5,430
Lightbulb Re: How tame is your Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Springthorpe View Post
do you find or think hooding or over hooding a falcon has any detriment to taming down ,??
Most defiantly Mark, I think you hood them initially when you 1st get them is imperative but after that just occasionally when needs must. Personally let them see as much as possible. I find now with my Falcons (being several times intermewed) they get excited when they see the hood much as the same way as a dog seeing its leader. Now I just hood them going hunting and nothing more other than when I have to cast them for one reason or the other
ATB
Phil
__________________
Info for people interested in taking up Falconry can be found here:

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26-02-2010, 05:47 PM
LeilaGSD's Avatar
LeilaGSD LeilaGSD is offline
Paul Davis
Passage
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Posts: 693
Default Re: How tame is your falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Soulsby View Post
Despite all my efforts this bird still bites, what more can I do?

John
My pere xprairie tiercel bites
His sister is tame as a puppy
And the barbabary tiercel the same .......conclusion some bite some don't

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Pearl's Avatar
Pearl Pearl is offline
Mark
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ncnc
Posts: 16,112
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallPeregrine View Post
Most defiantly Mark, I think you hood them initially when you 1st get them is imperative but after that just occasionally when needs must. Personally let them see as much as possible. I find now with my Falcons (being several times intermewed) they get excited when they see the hood much as the same way as a dog seeing its leader. Now I just hood them going hunting and nothing more other than when I have to cast them for one reason or the other
ATB
Phil
i have to agree with you mate , my pere x lanner does not hood and is as steady as a hh , she sits on the back seat of the car preening no matter what is going on ,

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 26-02-2010, 06:29 PM
SANBoPC's Avatar
SANBoPC SANBoPC is offline
Trevor Oertel
Passage
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vrede
Posts: 3,406
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

John I agree with most that has been written here.

In my opinion it all depends on how thick skinned you are, as birds are trained to bite by us having a fear of been hurt. I have a very high pain threshold and with a new bird will allow it to bite without reacting to the bite, very quickly as the bird does not get a response they stop biting.

As has been suggested stop touching her, however if you really believe that stroking her will improve your relationship with her, what works very well is a mannequins hand up your sleeve - its painless and bloodless and once shes had her fill in time will accept your hand.

Regards
Trevor
__________________
FALCONERS DO IT SO THE BIRD COMES FIRST!
YOU HAVE ENEMIES? GOOD. THAT MEANS YOU'VE STOOD UP FOR SOMETHING, SOMETIME IN YOU LIFE!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 26-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Tony123ABC's Avatar
Tony123ABC Tony123ABC is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nevada out by Las Vegas
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

My gyr/saker is fine. Loves it when I get home and flys nice. Granted, I stopped hunting her early this season due to my dog getting killed, but she flys to the lure great and is a dream to hood and handle. She does well except when very very fat. Does not foot or bite. But, after field work if I try to hood her too soon she goes ape, but if I let her settle down, no probs. She was not an imprint. she is trained to the hood and the box.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM
John Soulsby's Avatar
John Soulsby John Soulsby is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 2,126
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

My pain threshold is obviously far too low, when she bites it hurts like hell and being a wuss I admit to pulling my torn and bleeding finger away.

This bird is fine in almost every way which suits me, she hoods well and flies to my satisfaction. I will simply keep my fingers out of harms way.

John
__________________
" Live long and prosper!"

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 AM
HunterJen's Avatar
HunterJen HunterJen is offline
Jen Wise
Passage
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 2,367
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

My Female Gyr/Saker "Nina" is a little (or not so little) softy!
I spent the first month I had her spending pretty much all day with her, walking her around the landfill site I was working on. I got her as soft as putty, I was able to pull her wings out, play with feathers and play with her feet, kiss her on the head, cuddle her, I could do absolutely anything with her except approach her on her block.
Don't ask me why but she couldn't tolerate it, yet she was more than happy with landfill machinery working just 10/15feet away from her.
She was fine being touched with bare hands but if anyone tried stroking her with gloves on then she used to try biting them...she had never seen me using gloves with her.
I hardly hooded her, the hood was used purely for travel and walking across the site when it was windy as she used to get the wind under her wings and want to take off so I hooded her to calm her down.
She is a very gentle falcon and even now that I have put her down to moult and increased her weight she looks to me when I walk in the avairy and is more than happy to step onto the glove.

ATB Jen
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
MitchTalon's Avatar
MitchTalon MitchTalon is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 493
Default Re: How tame is your Falcon?

My male saker loverly tame as anything happy to spend time with me and i feel loves the attention the female gyr saker however i could man her all the time and she would still wana take a chunk out of me id say she was just mean but then shes fine on pick up and flys and hunts well so i say she can happily be mean every persons diffrent like ever bird
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
falcon, tame

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.